Old, manual lenses...anyone else still play around with them?

The 105mm f/2.5 AI-S, as taken by the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S, at close focus & wide open:

D810, 28mm, f/2.8, 1/30 sec, ISO 2200

The 50mm f/1.2 AI-S & the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S, as taken by the 105mm f/2.5 AI-S, with an extension tubes:

D810, 105mm, f/2.5, 1/10 sec, ISO 64
D810, 105mm, f/8, 4 sec, ISO 64

Thank God I have a 40-foot wide computer monitor! Otherwise, I'd never be able to see these monstrously-size images in their full glory.

In other words: Try to resize images you post down to a reasonable size: 800, maybe 1000 pixels on the long size as a max.

Keep in mind not everyone has blazing-fast, cutting edge internet connections. Posting ungodly large images will prevent it from being seen my many as they will merely just give up and move on instead of waiting for their next birthday while the images load.

I thought the forum would resize it automatically.
My bad.

Corrected.

Last edited:
ruifo said:
I thought the forum would resize it automatically.
My bad.

Corrected.

The forum DOES resize the images automatically. I viewed them, down-sized automatically on my iMac this morning...and I also clicked on the Show Full Size option and looked at the images large, so they were actually visible and richly detailed. Now they just look, "meh". Some people apparently want everything dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to suit dial-up internet and 56k modems and 15-inch monitors...jeeze...it's almost as if one cranky Iowan wants to regulate everything downward to suit 1997-era technology...

Maybe instead of accumulating huge bags full of view camera lenses, some folks ought to consider a monitor of reasonable size...I've been using a 30-inch Apple monitor since 2007...if one wants to be involved in photography, maybe a monitor bigger than an iPad would be a wise investment...

There ARE people here who can actually handle a JPEG image that's more than 160k...

Last edited:
Well, I guess we're failures if we can't live up to Derrel's standards.

I'm in Australia.... There are 3rd world countries with faster, cheaper internet than here.....

Back on topic I love my old Helios 44 lenses. And also use a Takumar macro 50mm f4 occasionally. Sometimes for I'll even try out my Pentax FA77 and FA31 on my Nikon D810 just for something different.

I do wish Nikon had focus peaking though. Would make manual focus much easier.

MartinCrabtre said:
Well then seriously post a few.

But make damned sure they're just itty-bitty in size, so Sparky feels good about it.

I want to post some images but don't 'zackly know how to do that yet. It took me forever to get on this forum. I ain't a propeller head. Size matters, huh?

Three cream machines!!

Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S @ f/2.8
22993061509_918c5f31d1_k.jpg

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S @ f/1.2
16566969024_44e8cbf106_k.jpg

Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-S @ f/2.5
23171089429_f98a6a8d7f_k.jpg

A guy's gotta' love the 105/2.5 Nikkor...it was one of my first few Nikon lenses. I bought the Ai-S model when it was just released...it cost me a whopping $269.95, mail-order, from New York. Those were the days, buying from the back of Pop Photo magazine, ads with teeny-tiny typefaces and loads of lenses listed in the smallest of spaces...multiple brands of cameras and lenses, like Konica, Minolta, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Petri, Ricoh, maybe some others I've forgotten. I still have that lens! I know big-time blogger Kirk Tuck has recently taken a heckofa' liking to the 105/2.5 for his corporate portraiture and commercial photography assignments on the Nikon D810...the lens creates a very nice "look".

I have a photograph of the Beatles I took at a "secret press conference" during their visit to Hollywood for their first concert in there 1964. It was taken with a Nikon F (of course) and a Spiratone 105mm f2.5 preset lens. Cheap, but good. The lens was straight out of an ad in the back of Pop Photo or one of those magazines. In those days the third party makers had lenses and other goodies that exceeded what you could get from the Big Boys and/or a whale of a lot cheaper.
I alluded earlier to my problems uploading photos. For one thing, I got a new computer with Windows 10 which I HATE, HATE, HATE. I got the DVD system to work (comes with CD but not DVD) but half the time my screen turns white and there is then a cascade of bright lights of every color whamming, bamming and slamming my monitor. Icons disappear off my desktop for no reason. Finding a list of what programs I have on the computer is like finding a politician who does not lie. (On both sides of the aisles.) Ordinary information is hidden but boy, the BLOATWARE is all over the place. Every time I open the computer there's a vapid, ordinary, cliche photo staring me in the face. All it does is slow things down. How do I get rid of this nonsense?
(I guess Billy Gates is promoting his horde of photographs. He bought the old UPI Photos file so he has some of mine in there somewhere, in an old salt mine in upstate New York or something. He should put a couple of mine on Windows, it would be a lot more entertaining.
(There is a photo I took of Liz Taylor and Richard Burton taken from a few inches away. Their two heads fill a whole 20mm wide 35mm frame. The particular wide angle lens was assigned to me by UPI in 1970 and this version has so much distortion you would not believe it. Later versions were a lot better. But it made a very wild closer-than-close photo.)
Grumble, grumble, ad nauseam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back