Old mountain cabin

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some friends and I were spent a long weekend at their cabin up in Hemsedal. Located beautifully. The neighbour was my friend's grand mother's place before she died. I asked, and I was allowed inside to take some shots. I could spend hours in there, so many things to shoot. Here is the first one I'm editing. It shows the living room. More from this visit will come in due time :)

First one is with some more detail. Too much? Second one has less.

Stova by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Stova by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and commenting! :D

Yeah, way too much.

no way, I really like the shot man, look at that detail and perspective distortion!

Seems like a neat place, but you've sort of stripped some of the emotion out of it by doing the HDR thing. I suppose you could do a less-bright/more contrast one... also seems a little tilted and the perspective leaves you so dead-on with the bed it seems that the bed is lost.

Dunno, sort of a "real estate" composition, in a place that's clearly not about being "for sale"?

no way, I really like the shot man, look at that detail and perspective distortion!

Not sure if sarcasm :p

Seems like a neat place, but you've sort of stripped some of the emotion out of it by doing the HDR thing. I suppose you could do a less-bright/more contrast one... also seems a little tilted and the perspective leaves you so dead-on with the bed it seems that the bed is lost.

Dunno, sort of a "real estate" composition, in a place that's clearly not about being "for sale"?

I see. I'm just fond of the "HDR treatment" for old places like these. I've seen many good shots on here of similar places. I wanted to try something similar. It brings out textures in the wood pretty nicely. A high contrast monochrome should be doable. It would be a completely different photograph, though. Definitely something I should try! Thanks for input!

I say the second one but would be nice to add some warmth to the photo like so........

compaq.jpg

not sarcasm, promise. HDR seems to really accent perspective distortion, I like it ;)

Well, thanks then, Trever! :)

I desaturated slightly, vip, to lose some red. I ended up liking it. Some warmth was nice, though! :thumbsup:

It doesn't really belong here, but here's a quick high contrast monochrome version. Probably not the best edit, just to see what it might look like.

Stova, seng, omn sk by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

compaq after looking at the image a bit the really bright window and curtain was bugging me a bit. I thought it would be a nice touch to add in some light rays.....

compaqcopy.jpg

This is a pretty cool image you have posted and I agree 100% that wood and hdr work so well together.

Trever1t said:
not sarcasm, promise. HDR seems to really accent perspective distortion, I like it ;)

HDR should have no effect on perspective.

Vip, one of the things that bugged me there was the lack of light rays! I probably could have hit some old pillow to get that effect, but I didn't want to move around too much, you know. I think it's a bit heavy in your edit. If you had toned it down a little, it would be awesome, imo. I'm not sure how to make this in PS, though. How did you do it, exactly?

I think you should have taken at least one more underexposed shot for the window so the curtain details would be more detailed instead of blown. There is something going on with the window in the second image. Is the blue and yellow stripes just chromatic aberration? The cabin reminds me of an old Charlie Chaplin movie set. The only thing that spoils the image is that red plastic basket on the shelf.

I know, Bynx, I should have :( I did expose properly for the windows in the other shots, just not this scene. The curtains are blue and yellow, not CA, though it might appear that way. In the other shots, I pulled the curtains away to get more light in. Never thought of moving that red basket.

Most reactions

Back