Old negatives

Ron from Minnesota

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Gentleman,

I am new to this forum and basically looking for some help, idea's, and/or suggestions. I recently purchased a WW2 Veterans estate that contained some photos and negatives. The negatives that were flat were already printed into photos. But there are a bunch that are curled and rolled up. I have a feeling that there are some that could be historically significant. I am looking for someone that could print these (or at least the ones that are salvageable) into photos for me. I thought I would ask here, as this does not seem like a job for my local 1 hour photo store. If there is someone here that could do it, or recommend someone, I would really appreciate it. I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Thanks!!

Regards,
Ron
dsc00134_copy1.jpg

Here are a couple examples of the ones that were printed. And I believe these are historical WW2 photos from Hitler's Eagles Nest, and the home of Herman Goering.
scan0008.jpg

scan0015.jpg

First off not everyone on this site are gents. There are ladies!

And you should look in the phone book for somone that specializes inthat stuff.

I humbly apologize and stand corrected. Please let me change that to "Ladies and Gentleman". I am not so sure I just want to take a wild stab from people in the phone book. I was hoping to narrow it down a bit, but thanks for the suggestion.

Ron

I would recommend that you use a lab locally that can print these. Here are a couple that can print your negatives on traditional black and white papers:

Rich Prints: http://www.richprints.com/contents.html

Black and White PhotoLab Inc: http://www.blackandwhitedigitalstudios.com/-/blackandwhitedigitalstudios/

DigiGraphic (in Edina): http://www.digidigi.com/tradphotoservice.html

Alternatively, I might recommend searching APUG.org to find someone nearby to you who could print.

As a last resort, there are a few of us here with traditional darkrooms or high quality digital repro cabailities.

Hope that helps, --Max

Max,

Thanks for your response. It does help. These negatives are all black and white. And not all are cut individually, most are on a roll. They do unroll fairly easily, and do not crack or split when I do this. The height of these is about 1 3/4" and each image is about 1 1/4" wide. I was hoping to find someone to work with these here. I am certainly willing to pay, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I believe these are historical photos and would like to preserve them, so any further information you could offer or help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ron
dsc00135.jpg

Are they curled towards, or away from the emulsion?

If they were curled towards the emulsion, I'd wetting one with a mist of distilled water, and hanging it, as per modern films.

Also, I'd ask myself, what would I need these uncurled for?

If I was printing from the negative, I think I might just (ever so carefully) sandwich them between two peices of anti-newton glass.

I also might look at copying the negatives, onto new negative/positives made from modern, ultra slow film.

Bobby,

I should add here, I have no photography or darkroom experience. And am looking for help. I found this forum from a Google search.

Regards,
Ron

Max,

Thanks for your response. It does help. These negatives are all black and white. And not all are cut individually, most are on a roll. They do unroll fairly easily, and do not crack or split when I do this. The height of these is about 1 3/4" and each image is about 1 1/4" wide. I was hoping to find someone to work with these here. I am certainly willing to pay, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I believe these are historical photos and would like to preserve them, so any further information you could offer or help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ron
dsc00135.jpg

I don't really understand why you would want someone here to print them as opposed to someone local to you...

You might check with Ramsey Community College or the Art Institute--they might have some classes in darkroom work and could take these on as a project. I've done that with my car before when I needed new ball joints. I gave it to the automotive class, that is, not the photography class. ;)

Max,

I have nothing against having them done locally. I just thought there may be someone on the forum that is local to me. Or a member whom may consider doing this on the side or something. I just wanted to educate myself a bit before just bringing them somewhere. I apologize for my lack of knowlege on this subject. Would you have an idea on a ballpark price per image, if I were to bring them to a local shop? Thanks for your help!

Ron

Max,

I have nothing against having them done locally. I just thought there may be someone on the forum that is local to me. Or a member whom may consider doing this on the side or something. I just wanted to educate myself a bit before just bringing them somewhere. I apologize for my lack of knowlege on this subject. Would you have an idea on a ballpark price per image, if I were to bring them to a local shop? Thanks for your help!

Ron

Ron,

I would give those places a call that I linked to earlier, and ask them for a quote. Prints from those negs can start at as low as a few bucks for an 8x10, and from there the sky's the limit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back