Old New Shooter

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, all

I'm retired and decided to get back into photography. I started shooting as an amateur in 1958, and have been shooting with film - later digital - ever since.

Recently, I cleaned out my storage area and "found" a Mamiya RB with lenses that was in pretty good shape. Trouble is, it's too big to drag around to shoot landscapes.

My son is now using it and I traded an old Toyo 4X5 view camera for a Mamiya 645 pro tl with 80 and 45 mm lenses. That's a lot easier to carry!

My interest is landscapes and I've been playing around with some local scenes. I've also resurrected a Jobo processor and have been "souping" my 120 b&w film.

I want to start shooting E-6 and processing it at home with a view to making prints using an Epson V600 scanner. Still need ot get a good printer, though.

Looking for any and all comments and suggestions on improvements - I figure if I only manage to live about another 150 years, I'll know it all! 645b&w002.jpg

Welcome to TPF.

Comments and suggestions -- seriously, bypass the jobo and the soup (especially the very toxic E6 soup) and the V600 and get a modern digital camera at 1/2 the size and weight of the 645 and a Canon inkjet printer and start making prints. Are you going through all that processing rigmarole because you enjoy it? If not then why. I'm old and retired too and I appreciate a small, light camera and the ability to take a photo and make a print all in a few minutes.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Actually, I have 3 digital Nikons, a D200, a Coolpix, and a D3200. They're fine but I really enjoy looking at images where I can control the exposure, the processing, and the printing. Before retirement, I was a chemist, so the E-6 stuff doesn't scare me; I know how to handle it correctly.

I regard the digitals as just fine for snapshots; the film cameras make me stop, evaluate the scene, plan the image, and think carefully, if I want a good result.

Thanks, Joe. Actually, I have 3 digital Nikons, a D200, a Coolpix, and a D3200. They're fine but I really enjoy looking at images where I can control the exposure, the processing, and the printing.

I do all of that with a digital camera. I control the exposure very carefully, I process the raw files myself and I make my own prints. Apart from being much faster, doing all that with a digital camera gives me finer control and extended capabilities.

Before retirement, I was a chemist, so the E-6 stuff doesn't scare me; I know how to handle it correctly.

I regard the digitals as just fine for snapshots; the film cameras make me stop, evaluate the scene, plan the image, and think carefully, if I want a good result.

I haven't found anything in a digital camera that forces me to rush, not evaluate the scene or fail to think carefully.

Joe

It's other people making me rush.

They're fine but I really enjoy looking at images where I can control the exposure, the processing, and the printing.

Welcome from another senior citizen. I can appreciate this as I've always considered being somewhat disconnected in the digital process. I've learned to use it and don't consider it bad enough to go back yet.

They're fine but I really enjoy looking at images where I can control the exposure, the processing, and the printing.

Welcome from another senior citizen. I can appreciate this as I've always considered being somewhat disconnected in the digital process. I've learned to use it and don't consider it bad enough to go back yet.

I don't consider digital bad - I just consider film a bit more challenging - to each his own.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back