Old Nikon 35mm's

yogibear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im kinda poking around with the idea of playing around with a film camera as opposed to my dslr on occasion. I have never owned a Nikon 35mm, only canons, and would like to find something that was fairly inexpensive. Id also like to have something old enough im not going to be worried about having it slung around my body without a case. (note: i take very good care of my cameras so i don't plan on smashing it into stuff, just want something i will not worry about when it isn't in a case) I don't mind buying used but i would like it to be capable of quality shots and a Nikon.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. I have been shooting with my first film slr lately which is an old Minolta totally manual camera. the only thing battery powered in it is the meter. Anyway I have narrowed it down to the Nikon N80/F80 or the F100. I'll probably end up with the F80 because they can be had for less than $100 in excellent condition. Here is a link to Rockwells review of it: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/n80.htm. What are you planning on shooting with it? I'm going to mainly use it for some portraiture work, maybe some landscape work with Velvia 50 loaded in it. The guy at my local camera shop recomended some Fuji 100 for portraits. We'll see how it goes.

I have an N75 which takes fantastic pictures, but it is very "plastic" so it wouldn't take a beating very well... works with pretty much any (non-DX) Nikon lens.

If I were looking for a "pro-tough" type camera I would buy an F4, they are excellent quality and CHEAP.

Do you want an old fully/semi manual camera? Or a newer AF camera? I have an FE and love it. Manual controls and focus, but also has aperture priority if you want to use it. I also have an F100 which was a pro level camera in its day, and it's a lot like my d200 as far as controls and feel, but shoots film.

I could easily recommend either of those.

Well honestly its to practice on with film vs a digital. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on anything, i just would like a decent film camera. Auto Focus is not important. I enjoy shooting in full manual modes so i can record what settings ive used with the exposure number. Time consuming but helps me learn how my settings affect each shot. Only time i really use Auto Focus is when its a shot that needs to be taken immediatly. I will use the camera for all sorts of photos.

I want it to be my "take with me just in case i see something amazing" camera. I just dont feel comfortable lugging my D80 around with its case, nor can i at all times. This camera is meant to allow me to play with film and have a camera with me more often. For some reason i believe if i can produce quality shots on film, it may help me better understand producing quality shots with my digital. Kinda forcing me away from the instant preview crutch/advantage.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

Last edited:
You can get an FM for under $100 from keh.com. It's 100% manual. You could also consider a Pentax K1000. It's fully manual, easy to use, they're easy to buy cheap too, tons of them everywhere because of their long time status as a student camera.

EM, FE, all can be had for cheap on ebay. Very good basic cameras. I have also noticed if you want AF 6006 and 8008's are going for low change too. F3's are a little bit more but were made for rigors of pro shooting. Tough cameras. If you watch for a while Keh, or ebay you can find good deals.

Obviously the older cameras may have worn light seals, but they are cheap, and can be changed easilly yourself.

I just found a guy localy here in Cincy that has a N80 with a Sigma 70-300 for $225. It is in perfect condition. I think I'm going to buy it.

Quality shots? Film is film, the camera doesn't matter, it's all about the lens. If you want something old that is built like a tank, but reasonably small, and basic. Something that doesn't get in the way of the photographer by means of fancy gagetry. Maybe something that will give you cool retro appeal too.

Nikon FE FE2 FM. This series of cameras are all manual focus, aperture priority centre weighted metering, and they will never die. Even if the metering / shutter release battery dies on you the FE can continue going at 1/90th and the FE2 at 1/125th.

Better yet they take every lens with an aperture ring on them. I share all my lenses on the FE with the D200 except the one dodgy kit lens I have. These cameras can be had for little on ebay.

If you want to go really old school (i.e. manual shutter speed) Take a look at older Nikkormats like the Nikkormat F. These however often will need Pre-AI capable lenses and won't work on new bodies.

Nikon FE... about $75 on ebay... all metal camera, easy to use, has manual and ap priority mode.

Other nice choices are the canon ae-1, nikon fm, nikon fg, or nikon fa.

I am also considering an FE, but the lack of DOF preview makes it a no-go for me. I've got my eye on an FM instead.

Take a look at older Nikkormats like the Nikkormat F. These however often will need Pre-AI capable lenses and won't work on new bodies.
I thought you could mount AI lenses on the original F and stop down meter...no?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount
The F-mount has a significant degree of both backward and forward compatibility. Many current autofocus F-mount lenses can be used on the Nikon F, and the earliest manual-focus F-mount lenses of the 1960s and early 1970s can, with some modification, still be used to their fullest on all professional-class Nikon cameras.
(emphasis mine)

All AF lenses are also AI lenses, so...

Last edited:
I am also considering an FE, but the lack of DOF preview makes it a no-go for me. I've got my eye on an FM instead.
I am pretty sure the FE (like the FM) has a DOF preview lever along the side of the lens housing :blackeye:.
nikon_fe_chrome_joe.jpg

Photo source: mir.com

I was gonna recommend the FG (I have an FG-20) but it's very light which might not work well for slower shutter speeds (there is bound to be more vibration from the shutter and mirror) and plus it doesn't have DOF preview. F3 might be worth a look though :wink:.
D3S_3174-f3.jpg

That's Ken Rockwell's F3HP locked and loaded with a 7.5mm fisheye and viewfinder :drool:.

Oops! My bad, I meant the FG, not the FE.

Say, while we're on this topic, is it possible to use a remote shutter release for the FE/FM? What is the model number? Or is it standardized thing with manual cameras?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back