Old Shop; Please C&C

Darton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took there the other evening. What do you think overall???

DoorsBW2.jpg

front.jpg

DoorsBW.jpg

Do you have any idea with regard to what you shot? Any story, any point to make?

It looks like an old deserted building, not much else.......the B&W's are technically not bad.

The building is an old abandond General store. Last time I remembered it being open was about 15 years ago. My dad, Grandpa, and I used to stop there when we'd go fishing. A couple months ago an old rusted down tow truck was setting outside of it. When I went to take these shots the truck had been moved :(. These shots remind me that I'm not as young as I once was.

the photos don't convey any story to me, but it's good that they hold sentimental memories for you... sometimes, people create "art" for themselves and it's not meant for other people.

since you've brought it to the public realm however, i'll critique what i see.

1) the step in the bottom portion of the frame is distracting, why did you choose to selectively color the post office symbol? the point of view is sorta interesting, but it's an unnatural one... unless you are used to seeing things draped across the steps :D i would have perhaps chose a slightly higher POV as to avoid the steps and perhaps left it in color. i bet the color version isn't all that much different then yours, except the bricks would stand out.... the vestibule area seems to be mostly white and gray's anyway.

2) quite frankly i'm amazed the windows are still in tact... 15 years of no usage and no stupid punk kids have thrown rocks through those big windows? that's amazing! the photo otherwise, looks sorta snapshot-ish, as there isn't much interesting to look at in the photo, but does do a good job of recording the building at a certain era of time.

3) i'd have chosen to shoot the image from one side or the other... probably more towards the right as you've already shot from the left in a previous pic, and there isn't much interesting that would make me choose one over the other... but the symmetrical composition doesn't create any tension in the image for the eye to wander... it's just there.

something to consider, in the 2nd and 3rd photo, i can see there is some stuff inside the building... it looks like that might be interesting to shoot an empty interior with a few things scattered about.... can't say for sure... but it's just an idea.

also is that a false front window on top of the sign? it appears that the building doesn't actually extend as high as the top of the window... that's neat too.

The images could be considered documentary. Other than I am uncomfortable with the framing and would join PNA in asking what intent you had in taking the shots.

There are elements of the structure that have photogenic possibilities with different framing and/or different lighting and intent.

Rusty Tripod

Most reactions

Back