Old Timey Effect

Aoide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photine.net
I would like to learn how to make a picture look old. For instance, practicing on the picture below, I'd like it to feel like it is an old postcard that I found in an attic. I'm a total beginner though and not sure where to begin. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I have Photoshop Elements.

16155457-M.jpg

I'm not sure what exactly you want to know how to do. You'll have to be a bit more specific. Are you just wondering how to sepia tone an image, or add scratches and stains, or what?

I guess maybe scratches and stains. Right now it looks like a new picture, turned sepia. I experimented with film grain, but it was a little too even, if you know what I mean. I'm thinking a little film grain, but something else as well.

Sorry I wasn't very specific. Hard to describe sometimes what is in the mind. I'm usually much more eloquent than this. I've been sick lately! Can I use that as an excuse for my lack of clarity? :confused: :er:

Aoide said:
I would like to learn how to make a picture look old. For instance, practicing on the picture below, I'd like it to feel like it is an old postcard that I found in an attic. I'm a total beginner though and not sure where to begin. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I have Photoshop Elements.

Laurie, I am not very familiar with PS Elements but I can make it look like an old photo in PS 6.0 or CS with the help of 'actions' (a series of effects and filters chained together, sort of like a 'macro' command). There are some free 'actions' for the PS out there and I believe one of them is an Aged Photo action. Google it and d'load it. The only thing is I don't know if PS Elements works with 'actions'.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

find it and link it! i want this really badly too!
sepia toning is easy, but i haven't figured out a way to make good scratches and fold marks yet...

Most reactions

Back