Old zoom lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Cpl. Hamburglar, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Cpl. Hamburglar

Cpl. Hamburglar TPF Noob!

A family member died recently and we were cleaning out his closet and inside was a camera zoom lens. I don't know much about photography so I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on this particular product. It's older, but still in the packaging. In fact, the receipt from 1983 is still in the box! Anyway, its a black box with matrix(brand I assume) in a white circle. it says 4.5 80-200. And on the bottom it says "Compact Mutli-Coated 'One-Touch' Zoom lens with Macro". Is this an upscale product or is it junk? Is it worth anything? Will it still work after sitting 24 years in the box? If somebody could fill me in, because I am clueless.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not certain, but I don't think that 'Matrix' is the brand. Somewhere, it should have the brand of the lens and/or the make of camera that it was mad to fit onto. Is there any lettering on the front of the lens?

It should work fine, if it's been stored well all this time. You might have to find the correct brand of camera to attach it to...to be sure.

Of the top of my head, it doesn't sound like a top end product...but I could be wrong. If you could give us more information, or if you could post some images of it...then maybe we could figure it out.