Older Canons?!

badazzpanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Hi peeps!

I am concidering an old canon eos 600/620/630/650 SLR body which I can see are quitwe freely avalable for like 50pounds.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with any of them?
I want it primerily for a travel camera and am looking for durability as It's likley going to have a hard life, starting with cambodia! But quality pics are also important.

Are there any other obvious alternatives? Primary camera is a Nikon Digital, but like all digitals, it eats batteries and does not agree with humidity!

Any help would be much apreciated!

I have an EOS 650...the first camera in the EOS line. Its been a good camera for me. It's built like a brick and weighs about as much but I like the solid feel.

With these older EOS cameras, you have to watch the foam shutter bumpers...they tend to get oily which can cause problems with the shutter. Also, the command dial may be worn out...the dial on mine does not work nicely but it does still work.

There are not a lot of features compared to the new cameras...I think the 620 has more than the 650 or 630.

You might want to consider an even more rugged camera if you are buying used. An EOS A2E (EOS 5 or 3) are semi-pro and a pro level EOS 1 is made to survive in rough conditions.

The 600 series EOS cameras are great cameras but you do have to be careful when buying a used one because I did have to have the shutter serviced on my 630 because the packing on the shutter started getting sticky lubricate or on the blades but it was a fairly inexpensive service. But if you can get one for 50 pounds which is around $100 US dollars I think thats not bad because in the US a body in excellant condition is selling for around $200 or more.

Most reactions

Back