Older Flash on new dSLR

It's in the user manual .. If I remember correctly, my D40 could take up to 250V, so the D60 should be the same. Actually I have used my Vivitar 285HV on my D40 and it worked fine, and will sync up to 4000th of a sec!

Some of the first digital SLR's could be fried by older flashes, but the camera makers realized people might want to use their older flashes, so modern cameras can now take the higher voltages. But check your manual first! :)

I tried finding it in my user's manual, but I couldn't. I searched the Nikon Canada website (nikon.ca) and under the question and answer section, when queried as to the use of studio strobes with d-SLR cameras, Answer ID 7372 comes up:

"NIKON Digital SLR Cameras (D3, D300, D2Xs, D2X, D2H, D1H, D1X, D100, D200, D80, D70, D70s, D60, D50, D40X, & D40) can be used with third-party studio strobe systems when extra light is needed.

"d-SLR's require a "tip-positive" sync connection to an external strobe unit.

"Warning: Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal operation, but may damage the sync circuit of the camera or the flash. Check the strobe manufacturer for voltage specifications."

There you have it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back