Older Tokina 28-70 ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I already have a Nikon 28-70 but just out of curiosity I just bought a second hand Tokina 28-70 ATX Pro I (Angenieux design) with the screw on lens hood. This one is a Japanese market lens marked f/2.8 and not the export version which was marked f/2.6 - 2.8. It will be interesting to see how this performs on the D700 when it gets here in a week or so.

Sometimes I prefer the rendering of older lenses.

There are some great cheapish lenses with adapters around. I had an old 1ds and enjoyed them on that but the crop cameras seem harder to manually focus on. You will enjoy on the d700

I already have a Nikon 28-70 but just out of curiosity I just bought a second hand Tokina 28-70 ATX Pro I (Angenieux design) with the screw on lens hood. This one is a Japanese market lens marked f/2.8 and not the export version which was marked f/2.6 - 2.8. It will be interesting to see how this performs on the D700 when it gets here in a week or so.

Patrice, did you ever end up taking some test shots with the Tokina? I found both the I and II versions online for a good price and was wondering what the IQ was like. I've always had the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my wanted list of mid-range zooms, but I like the Tokina brand and wondered if you were happy with the one you bought. If you could share a few sample images, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: I just read your other post about this lens and am glad to hear how much you like it. Would still like to see a sample or two if you wouldn't mind sharing. :)

Last edited:

Patrice, did you ever end up taking some test shots with the Tokina? I found both the I and II versions online for a good price and was wondering what the IQ was like. I've always had the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my wanted list of mid-range zooms, but I like the Tokina brand and wondered if you were happy with the one you bought. If you could share a few sample images, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: I just read your other post about this lens and am glad to hear how much you like it. Would still like to see a sample or two if you wouldn't mind sharing. :)

Here you go, focus was on the red house. Jpeg from camera. Resized for upload on this site. Notice some vignette at 28mm f/2.8. Ignore the dust bunnies, it's time for a wet clean. I have others at f/4 f/5.6 f/11 f/16 and f/22.

Attachments

• $28mmf:2.8.JPG
    $28mmf:2.8.JPG
    828.1 KB · Views: 391
  • $28mmf:8.JPG
    $28mmf:8.JPG
    921.9 KB · Views: 353
  • $70mmf:2.8.JPG
    $70mmf:2.8.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 388
  • $70mmf:8.JPG
    $70mmf:8.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 316
I'm considering a used Tokina 28-70 for my D750. I love the feel of Tokina lenses and those pics look plenty sharp enough for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back