Olympus 35 RC Low Light Tips Required Please!

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by thomas610, Nov 15, 2017.

1. thomas610

thomas610 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've recently purchased a fully refurbished olympus 35 RC which is a great little camera. The only problems i'm having are with regards to low light. I don't want to buy an external flash as i prefer taking street photos at night where discretion is preferred! Anyone got any tips on what film is best to use etc. etc. I also prefer shooting in shutter priority mode but any tips on using fully manual would be great.

I should also mention that this is my first ever film camera and i'm a total novice... so go easy on me! Thanks!

2. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first thing that comes to mind is to push develop your film. This is much easier to do when using black and white film. Kodak TriX or Ilford HP5 are both very good films to try this with.

Basically what this means is that you are using a 400ISO film but shooting it at 800 ISO or 1600 ISO. Then the film is developed longer to account for the extra exposure.

Before you try this, however, make sure that whoever is developing your film is willing to push develop.

3. denada

denada No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    35 rc is a fun camera and great for night photography because it can be used in manual.

street photography at night without a flash will be a challenge. to keep your shutter speed fast enough and to focus accurately with a wide aperture / thin depth of field.

35 rc will only meter up to 800. i wouldn't depend on it much shooting at night. it will lock up the shutter button, saying there's not enough light when really there is (if you're open to the results). wave the meter around to get an idea of how much light you're working with and then switch to manual. you gotta figure how low lighting going to make your photo look. at night it's going to be lots of darkness with your subject bathed in whatever artificial lighting there is. instead of well exposed in general with certain overexposed points like burning windows, headlights, etc.

use 800 iso like cinestill or portra, pick the slowest shutter speed and widest aperture you're willing to work with, and shoot on manual. then get it developed and review. push, lower your shutter speed and/or aperture, or buy higher iso film (you can get 1600 in color and 3200 in b&w) accordingly for the next roll.

being ok with prominent film grain will help.

4. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You might want to use a hand held meter as camera meters are not very good in low light. And if pushing BW film I would process the film in X-Tol, it's a very good developer for pushing. I've pushed T-Max and Delta 3200 up to 25000 and had good results with X-Tol.

5. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

I would recommend Ilford XP2 Super film. It is a black & white film that is processed with the same method as regular color print film so any place that develops color film can process it.

It is also very forgiving as far as exposure is concerned and you needn't worry about push processing, etc. up to at least ISO 800.

Street shooting at night can be tricky and not easy for even experienced film shooters so expect some trial and error.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Keep the camera _Steady_ is my main tip! Small tripod, medium tripod, large tripod, clamp, whatever, just keep 'er steady!

• Agree Agree x 1