Olympus E-500

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Glassjaw, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Glassjaw

Glassjaw TPF Noob!

I've read the review on dpreview.com as well as topics here, and wanted to ask what you all think? I was interested in purchasing this camera and it seemed to do well in the review, so I have a pretty set mind right now unless you all can set me towards something else.

And I can't delete this, I imagine I should have posted in the other forum section about hardware and what not. If this can be moved I would appreciate it, unles it is somehow in the correct section. Thankyou in advance.

2. AirVenture

AirVenture TPF Noob!

The Nikon D50 and the Canon Digital Rebel 350D seem to be the favorites for entry level digital SLR choices. I own the Nikon D50 and am enjoying it greatly! Take a look at the reviews on www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com

-Brett :)

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hertz uses one!

The only reason I could possibly see to go with Canon/Nikon is their much larger family of accessories and greater market share.

If you're buying a camera as-is, there probably isn't much in it really. It's well worth handling the three of them, just in case there's something particularly that draws you to a model.

Rob

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I have the E300 - which is a honey. Has a self-cleaning system for the CCD.

As Rob says, your best bet is to go and handle all three - and a few others besides.
    Despite what techno-nerds tell you, there is very little difference between cameras in terms of performance these days.
    The main, and most important, difference is feel. You need to buy a camera that feels comfortable. It's no good buying one that feels awkward.
    Go play with a bunch at a store and then decide.

5. 303villain

303villain TPF Noob!

ive got the 500, two lense kit and i love it! the two kit lenses are decent, the bigger of the two(sorry im feeling brain dead today) imo is a little better than the 14-45. its a comfy camera, its WICKED light, but the only gripe i have with it is that lenses for it get pricey pretty quick, but you get what you pay for so its not horrid. i definately recommend this camera!

6. asco

asco TPF Noob!

Hi, I spent weeks on comparing the D50, EOS 350D and others and I ordered the E-500, everybody that has them says that the kit lenses are far better than the kit lenses offered with other cameras. I also liked the feel of the camera.
    But the best thing about making that decision was that I finally made a decision, not anymore lying awake at night, thinking about what camera to buy ;) .

7. 303villain

303villain TPF Noob!

sleep easy, you'll love it for sure!