Olympus E-620 four thirds system dSLR???

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I think I'm going to buy my first dSLR this week. I was considering a Nikon D90, but for day to day street photography I think it's too big for me. I'm afraid I won't use it as much, except when I'm going out specifically to take photos. I handled it at the camera store, along with a much smaller Olympus E-620. The Olympus feels like a great fit. It's practically half the size. Plus, I like the articulating LCD and in-body IS. If I pull the trigger on this, I'm going to forgo the kit lens and instead get a Zuiko 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 II lens. The lens is a few hundred more, but it's much faster than the kit lens and has gotten rave reviews.

Anyway, I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts, good or bad, on this package? I know the Nikon would out perform the Olympus, but is the difference really that big a deal? I'm planning to start the first in a series of photography courses in a month or so and need a dSLR for them. For my first big boy camera (I'm coming from the world of simple point & shoots) I don't want anything overly complicated.

Get what you think will suit your needs. Personally, I would go for the D90.

The E-620's AF system is spotty and it's ISO performance at anything above 800 isn't that impressive. If you're shooting street photography, you may find you need better AF and better ISO performance - something the D90 offers.

Perhaps rent one, shoot with it in different conditions and see if it suits your needs before going that route. The D90 isn't exactly large or heavy. It's a small, plastic bodied consumer level camera that I personally find to be quite small and handy.

For my first big boy camera (I'm coming from the world of simple point & shoots) I don't want anything overly complicated.
The Oly isn't going to be any less complicated than the D90.

The lens is actually quite good--but then again, it's a seven hundred dollar zoom with moderately high aperture speed, not a low-cost, ultra-basic kit lens. The camera is a lot smaller than a D90. It will not do as well at elevated ISO settings as a camera with a larger sensor, but it will also be a smaller camera,and a camera left behind at home is like no camera at all...

Olympus makes very high quality lenses. I think you might really like the camera. And I think you've made a good decision to step up to a higher-quality lens.

I bought one 2 weeks ago w/ 2 lens package. I have taken less than 100 shots with it so I couldn't give you too much info. However, for my needs: small prints and posting on the net the smaller sensor isn't an issue, price for my package I thought was a good deal. Plus, it's a major upgrade from my Kodak P&S.

I'm down on the 3:4 format. Consider that there is no readily available paper with that format and the only electronic medium with that format is the obsolescent analog TV. You will throw away pixels with every shot. The worst part is not the loss of pixels but the lack of WYSIWYG in the viewfinder/monitor. You will inevitably end up cropping out Uncle Joe's feet.

My wife uses a P&S with a 3:4 sensor. Fortunately, there is a setting for 2:3 format. It changes both the monitor screen and the actual photo. She's still throwing away pixels but at least she got WYSIWYG.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice, and sample photos. All very helpful.

The idea of renting a D90 did cross my mind. Perhaps I should revisit this before pulling the trigger on the E-620.

One big attraction with the E-620 is that articulating LCD display. It seems that every time I go out to shoot stuff, there are more than a few photos where I've held the camera over my head to catch a shot or at ground level to get an interesting perspective. During those times I keep thinking, man I wish the display articulated so I could actually see what the hell I'm doing. Maybe the replacement for Nikon's D90 will have an articulating high-res LCD display?

As for the E-620 not being great with higher ISOs, that's partly why I want the wider aperture lens. I know it won't eliminate the problem, but it should help, no?

My thinking, for right or wrong, is that the E-620 would make a good stepping stone into the world of serious dSLRs. Use it for a year or two and get the most out of it, and by then I should be ready to step up to the next level. The plan would be to have one great lens for the Olympus and the 40-150mm longer kit lens. That way, if I eventually decide to move to Nikon or Canon, I won't be that heavily invested in Olympus.

D5000

It's smaller than the D90 and has the tilt LCD display as well as the D90's high ISO performance abilities as well as movie mode.

Having a camera small enough to actually venture out with is better than having a big camera at home. The E-620 may well be a good choice.

I would suggest that you look at two sites:

A 4/3rd dedicated forum:
Fourthirdsphoto Forum - Powered by vBulletin

DXOmark:
Welcome to dxomark.com (beta), a free resource dedicated to RAW-based camera image quality

do a comparison of one of the recent 4/3rds models (the E-620 hasn't been tested yet) with both the older Nikon D80 ,or D200, and the D90. You'll see that the recent 4/3rds, and micro4/3, models show very similar high ISO noise are the earlier but well respected D80/200 when compared at measured, not marked, ISO speeds the way DXO does.

D5000

It's smaller than the D90 and has the tilt LCD display as well as the D90's high ISO performance abilities as well as movie mode.

Yeah, I was considering a D5000. If I recall, it does not have built-in AF, which sort of limits lens options. I'm not sure how much of a concern that is. One thing it doesn't have, which the D90 does, is something called active d-lighting. Would someone mind giving a brief explanation of what that is and just how valuable a feature it is? I'm also a bit concerned that it has had two recalls, although admittedly I don't if that's a big deal or not.

Having a camera small enough to actually venture out with is better than having a big camera at home. The E-620 may well be a good choice.

I would suggest that you look at two sites:

A 4/3rd dedicated forum:
Fourthirdsphoto Forum - Powered by vBulletin

DXOmark:
Welcome to dxomark.com (beta), a free resource dedicated to RAW-based camera image quality

do a comparison of one of the recent 4/3rds models (the E-620 hasn't been tested yet) with both the older Nikon D80 ,or D200, and the D90. You'll see that the recent 4/3rds, and micro4/3, models show very similar high ISO noise are the earlier but well respected D80/200 when compared at measured, not marked, ISO speeds the way DXO does.

Thanks. I'll definitely check out that forum and DXO Mark.

I just got this camera and really like it. I picked it up along with the two kit lenses, and the 9-18mm one (there is a $100 rebate) and the 70-300mm (600 35mm equiv.) It's a fantastic camera. The "art scene" modes are fun too, and it's easy to use. I'm glad I got the thing; I think it's slightly less expensive too than the comparable Canon and Nikon models.

Check out "fourthirdsphoto.com" for more on it. I also have a Canon Powershot sx10 for my point-and-shoot and keep that in the car.

One nice thing too is image stablization; it's on the camera body itself rather than the lenses.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the adjustable aspect ratios in the specs.

Thanks Padrepaul77, it's good to hear from an owner.

And thanks a million to everyone else kind enough to take time to reply.

Whenever you buy anything new, it is always good to start from your budget first, and then like what you have done, ask others about what works for them.

It should feel good in your hands too.....pick the one that feels better...nothing worse than using something that just feels arwkward.

Best of luck :)

Most reactions

Back