Olympus has hired a bunch of stinkin liars...

Just like the mascara ad some students were debating over when I was in cosmetology school. The model was obviously wearing false eyelashes, not mascara.

The way so many companies advertise really only hurts them. Everyone knows that there is a lot of deception in advertising and we tend to not believe what we see in those kinds of ads anyway, because it's so rampant.

I've seen that ad several times recently and noticed some of these things. I also thought that the main shot had pretty low IQ in my opinion...

My dad worked for a time in advertising and they often threw photo shoots together with any old stuff that came to hand, without too much regard for the pinpoint accuracy of its authenticity. I could see where this could be a photo taken very recently with outdated props, deployed without any sense of its appropriateness.

Looks like the Tour won't be won by an American this year for a change. Who do think will be on the podium in Paris? My main decision today will be whether I ride my Litespeed or my Basso this evening.

As if I need more guilt about not riding. I'll just say that the bike I have has biopace chainrings and leave it at that.

For the first time that I can remember, I don't actually care who wins the tour. The events of the last year have sapped my faith in the cyclists, the race organizers, and the UCI/USADA/WADA/etc.

The only other sport I watch at all is baseball, so I feel the pain of the whole issue of doping. I want the sport to be clean. The whole appeal of cycling, to me, is that I can go out and ride the same bike that the pros ride, on the same courses, etc. I can dream of duplicating their efforts (or at least as close as my personal time and finances allow). I'll likely never hit a ball at Wrigley Field, but some day I may ride up a mountain in the Alps (don't hold your breath). When riders aren't clean it takes a piece of that dream away. But when the people responsible for keeping the sport clean can't seem to follow basic chain of custody standards. Also, the entire guilty until proven innocent attitude seems to make it too easy for politics to decide who is racing rather than ability.

Okay, done with my thread hijack.

As if I need more guilt about not riding. I'll just say that the bike I have has biopace chainrings and leave it at that.

Okay, done with my thread hijack.

Oh no you are NOT done with your threat hijack... I have always been interested in the biopace rings... what do you use them for? I know a lot of TRI people like them because they are more like running, and that TT people ride them a lot too. I have a good friend who has them on his loaded touring bike and swears by them (I use a traditional triple on my touring bike).

To heck with my original post, let's talk about riding bikes and equipment. Much more interesting that some stinkin ad in a magazine!

BTW I hear you on the doping thing. I used to be a BIG TIME Once fan. I liked Lance OK, but I really was a fan of people like Ja Ja, then Josheba. I was also a fanatic of The Lion King, and feel the need to humble myself in his glorious presence... Super Mario, you are the greatest ever.

Most of my favorite riders over the last 10 years, including Roberto, Marco, possibly Floyd, Francisco, Jan, Ivan, David, and Tyler have turned out to be lying stinkin cheaters. Of the bunch, only David Millar really owned what he did, and I respect where he is now. I have no respect whatever for the others... and that whole LeMond bashing Floyd's people did was disgusting.

It is funny (in a very, very sad way) that the one guy that the French were trying to say was cheating... Lance... may turn out to be the ONLY top rider in the entire peleton who wasn't. Heck, even my beloved Erik Zabel admitted to doping if only for a week back in the '90's.

Hopefully better testing techniques will make it impossible for the cheaters to get away with it and tear down the sport that I love so dearly.

Wow on the site it says "Even More Eye Opening than the picture is the camera that took it. e-510 is the first conumer D-SLR with Live View that lets you keep your eye on the action, not on a viewfinder. Next time you visit France for the big bike race Capture it All."

which is so not true!!

I guess my pick for the TdF is Valverde. He showed some real heart last year and he's been doing well. It will be interesting to see how Leipheimer does with the Discovery people. He is probably the only American with a shot at the podium.

I think doping in Baseball is probably just as bad as it is in Cycling. Personally, I think the home run record still belongs to Roger Maris. Lately, it has been broken by people that I consider dopers. There might not be a clean sport anywhere.

At least the cyclists have been doping for 75 years and have been quite up front about it until the rules changed recently so, at least, it is nothing new. Hats off to Lance. I don't know whether he doped or not but, if he did, he got away with it. I think I read somewhere he was the most highly drug tested man on the planet. He certainly is a cyclist with heart, the greatest Tour de France rider of all time and a genuine American hero.

I keep buying that damn Calvin Klein underwear... but still no abs.

Liars. All of them.

You got me thinking about the ab machine ads on TV that tell you they will take inches off your waist. Inches come off your body everywhere at the same time as you lose weight. You can't target a single part of your body. You can strengthen the abs to be sure but you can't lose weight in the gut without losing it everywhere else. Ah. I almost forgot the knives that never need sharpening.

As far as the biopace chain rings, what they've mostly done for me is make me fall over. Seriously. They mess up my rhythm, and I lose my balance at low speeds. Makes riding in the city quite dangerous, when I almost fall over at stop signs. I suppose if I rode more I might get used to them.
Doping in baseball is worse than in cycling, at least cycling is attempting to do something about it (although in a ham-handed way) Baseball is still trying to sweep it under the rug. The worst part is, for true fans, the home run is not the measure of how good a player is. I'll take a Derrick Lee any day.
As far as Lance goes, I think he's clean. The sheer effort involved in fooling so many people for so long, if he was doping, would seem to be a greater acheivement than actually winning fairly would. And while the people in the Landis camp who crossed the line into sheer stupidity with regards to LeMond deserve as much ridicule and shame as can be heaped upon them, I have to say that my respect for LeMond has taken a severe hit as well. It seems that he is flying the "Anyone better than me must be a cheater" banner.
It seems that Indurain has managed to remain untouched by this for the most part, which does make me happy. He seemed to be a guy who simply loved riding his bike.
I really need to start riding again. It's just that living in a neighborhood with occasional gunplay concerns me in that aspect.

When Canon introduced the original Digital Rebel (300 D) They had a very small disclaimer at the bootom of the Ads which said that the images were not shot with the camera advertised!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back