Olympus OM-2000 sticking mirror

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Matt Friedman, Nov 24, 2017.

1. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've wrecked that many cameras doing simple repairs, I'm not the one to give advice here.

The potential problem with bending the tab in situ is that you might bend the ring as well. Sorry, I can't really advise you.

2. Matt Friedman

Matt Friedman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I quite understand. The issue here is that, as it is, this camera is unusable for teaching, and I wouldn't sell it, knowing that it has this annoying fault. So it's worthless as it is. Moreover, it cost me nothing, and I have several other SLRs that I use on a daily basis.

So I don't really hurt myself by attempting a repair, even if it fails.

Having said that, it occurs to me that the best solution would be to buy a dead Olympus for parts, and just use the ring from that. So... I wonder, is the OM mount mechanism constant throughout the line? That is, would parts from an another model be compatible with the mounting mechanism in the OM2000?

I've looked at the OM2000 service manual, and it doesn't look like replacing the ring would be that difficult (assuming I can load the spring properly). So that might be the best option, assuming I can get the part inexpensively. (I don't want to sink more than $10 into this camera.)

3. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

The Olympus lens mount has to communicate with the Cosina light meter and other internals. That might mean that the detail of the ring is different .from what an Olympus part would be. Or it might not be.