olympus pen ep2 worth $1099?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jake337, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jake337

jake337 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I picked up an EP2 about a week ago. And now I'm having second thoughts. I do love the camera and the shots I've taken with it so far. I'm loving the size of the body in comparison with SLR's, but is it worth the loss of quality? I'm thinkin of returnin it and going with a DSLR instead, so with that in mind what DSLR would be recommended at that price? ($1099)

Thanks
    Jake
    P.s. I'll post some pics I've taken so far sometime today

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    "Worth" is difficult to quantify and so is "loss of quality".

For someone who requires a small P&S like sized camera who has no choice but to use P&S in years past, the quality is actually a step up.. a big step up. This is especially true with those that don't place such a high importance on high ISO performance.

If you are thinking of returning it then it is pretty safe to assume the camera isn't meeting your expectations. I say return it and get a DSLR.

If you are unable to return it for any reason, PM me... I might be interested.

btw... As far as I know, just two users here have shot extensively with m4/3rd cameras;Sw1tch and I. So you might not get much of a response.

[EDIT]

Correction.. three.. including Ron Evers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. jake337

Photos OK to edit
    well it's more than meeting my expectations in comparison to any p&s i've used(never owned) and this is my first jump into photography so i'm very new to the game. I'm really just worried that as I get into photography more deeply, the camera will begin to not meet my expectations.

heres a few

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    From my talks with retailers concerning the m 4/3rds, typically consumers of such cameras are falling into two categories:

1) P&S shooters looking for a bridge into more advanced options and (imaging) without the expense, hassle, and size of DSLRs.
    2) DSLR advanced users looking for something smaller more compact to use in conjunction not in replacement. (There is the group I am in).

(note; this may change because it is a new system and new technology with the future is unknown)

Your investment is more than just a camera+lens, it is a system. Once you start building on a system, it is expensive to switch. If this is your concern, I say switch to a DSLR system with a pre-established selection of quality glass to support.

5. jake337

Photos OK to edit
    thank you very much for the quick and informative responses. i will be heading to national camera exchange on monday to talk more and make a final decision. i may even fall into the second catagory some some day just do it backwards. start off with this olympus micro 4/3's and add a SLR in the future when i'm more advanced. or would this be a bad idea?

6. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    only if you have $$$ to burn......

I think it would be best to have your investments in one system first then figure out what you need beyond the system later.

• Like Like x 1