OM-D E-M1 or Fuji X-T1. Hands-on advise please

Which do you prefer?

• Olympus OM-D E-M1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
which camera will last the longest? I haven't seen build quality mentioned.

To my eye the IQ of the X-Trans sensor is much more film-esque

I never really know what people mean by this. If it's the grain, most people hate grain nowadays, if it's the dynamic range, that of course depends on the film being used. If it's the colours, it's again the film being used. Fuji Velia vs Kodak Kodachrome etc. There's this seemingly nostalgic look to make things look like old film technology. Having shot film for 30 years (from ISO50 to ISO1600) I'm glad to be past that stage long ago. I have no yearnings for those 'looks' and find I get better images than film ever gave me from the current digital bodies.

As for the size of the EM5 being smaller than the EM1, I agree it is, the EM10 is even smaller. Both of those bodies fall in to a category that never really interested me, too small to comfortably hold and too large to be pocketable.

But it's really all personal preference and there is no single right or wrong answer.

Again, to my eye, the color transition with Fuji is much more seamless, smoother than with the OM5/OM1. The Oly sensor, again to my eye, lacks the gradient of Fuji. Oly is like green|red ... Fuji is like green|green-red|red-green|red. Sorta like film.

which camera will last the longest? I haven't seen build quality mentioned.
The Fuji X-Pro1 appears/feels to be one of the best built digital cameras I've owned. The X-T1 and EM1/EM5 feel equally solid with a slight tip to the EM1. The X-Pro1 feels like feels like an old Nikon F ... kryptonite tough.

PS- I own 1Ds

Last edited:
To op, em5 will not focus good enough for kids in action shots (you say your leaning that way, I wouldn't advise it)

Kids in action:

EM5
_GAB0316.jpg

P7100222.jpg

_GAB0035.jpg

P7140094.jpg

_GAB0035.jpg

P7100189-X2.jpg

X-T1

A)
_GA11645.jpg

B)
_GA15389.jpg

C)
_GA14089-X2.jpg

D)
_GA14735.jpg

E)
_GA14851.jpg

F)
DSCF6587.jpg

Gary

^^^^ ok my statement was a bit broad, but your examples might be misleading? Did you track or pre focus with the em5? Nice shots from both but I find the EM5 cannot really track, of course any camera can take action shots if you focussed where the action is.

^^^^ ok my statement was a bit broad, but your examples might be misleading? Did you track or pre focus with the em5? Nice shots from both but I find the EM5 cannot really track, of course any camera can take action shots if you focussed where the action is.

Yes, the EM5/EM1 and the X-T1 cannot track like a dSLR.

None of these shots were "pre-focused" or focused manually. All were shot using rear button AF and pumping the button for focus.

While the Fuji certainly does not track, but, if you keep the subject in the focus reticle and follow the subject the camera will retain focus. Below is are sequential shots captured with the XT1:

_GA14919-X2.jpg

_GA14920-X2.jpg

_GA14921-X2.jpg

_GA14922-X2.jpg

_GA14923.jpg

_GA14924.jpg

_GA14926.jpg

_GA14927.jpg

I can post sequential (2 and 3) shots all day long. Yes, you have to work harder for less keepers than a dSLR ... but mirrorless can shoot action and do it well. Yes, it isn't as good for action as a dSLR, but nonetheless, it can capture action.

Gary

Most reactions

Back