OM2 Light Metering

CrispyCake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've recently gotten into film photography and am unsure of the OM2 light metering.

When you do shutter priority or manual mode, rotating the aperture ring is supposed to move the viewfinder needle to show what shutter speed or exposure you are at. Are you supposed to preview the depth of field first so the light meter reads what would be coming in or just let it be? When I rotate the aperture ring, the needle does not move.

Thanks!

Yes, when you turn the aperture ring the meter needle should move. You do not have to use DOF preview to set the aperture.

You can download the manual for the OM-2n Here.

Yes, when you turn the aperture ring the meter needle should move. You do not have to use DOF preview to set the aperture.

You can download the manual for the OM-2n Here.

That's odd. Rotating the aperture ring does nothing while the shutter speed ring does. Do you know what could be wrong?

That's odd. Rotating the aperture ring does nothing while the shutter speed ring does. Do you know what could be wrong?
Is it an OM-2 or an OM-2n? I have the OM-2n and there may be a difference between the two in that respect.

Is it an OM-2 or an OM-2n? I have the OM-2n and there may be a difference between the two in that respect.

OM-2. But the operation between the two should be quite similar. Reading the OM2 manual, it doesn't indicate to preview DOF, so I assume it should adjust for aperture automatically.

Odd that it adjusts when the shutter ring is turned but not the aperture ring. You may be having some lens problems or possibly an issue with the contacts between the lens and body.

Sorry, but other than that I can't think of what it might be. Mine is in the closet but I don't even have batteries for it any longer so it wouldn't do anything if I dug it out. Wish I could help.

Odd that it adjusts when the shutter ring is turned but not the aperture ring. You may be having some lens problems or possibly an issue with the contacts between the lens and body.

Sorry, but other than that I can't think of what it might be. Mine is in the closet but I don't even have batteries for it any longer so it wouldn't do anything if I dug it out. Wish I could help.

I took off the lens and rotated the lever that the aperture ring would normally rotate to see if the needle moves, but it doesn't. It might be that the electronic are broken.

Thanks anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back