On Camera Flash

dan.rpo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few months ago i bought a BOWER SFD35N Flash for my Nikon D40...i have yet to be dissapointed with it! Its an EXCELLENT alternative if you cant afford an SB-600 like myself at the time.

However, my point is, i have still been finding out that if i use this flash directly on the subject, it still kinda looks washed out. i mean, the flash is supposed to adjust its power output based on distance from the subject, but im not sure if its really doing that.

Indoors if i use it as bounce flash off the ceiling or walls, it works great!

Will purchasing a diffuser do me a great deal when it comes to using it directly on my subject(s)? Will i be much more satisfied with results?

I would sure think so! I've had a couple SB-600's that I've shot threw an umbrella and it worked out very well - I'd think a diffuser such as a Gary Fong Lightsphere would work quite well.

Thanks for the info on the Bower as well.

Last edited:
A few months ago i bought a BOWER SFD35N Flash for my Nikon D40...i have yet to be dissapointed with it! Its an EXCELLENT alternative if you cant afford an SB-600 like myself at the time.

However, my point is, i have still been finding out that if i use this flash directly on the subject, it still kinda looks washed out. i mean, the flash is supposed to adjust its power output based on distance from the subject, but im not sure if its really doing that.

Indoors if i use it as bounce flash off the ceiling or walls, it works great!

Will purchasing a diffuser do me a great deal when it comes to using it directly on my subject(s)? Will i be much more satisfied with results?
The bounced flash looks better because it's not arriving at the subject on the lens axis.

When you have it pointed straight at the subject you loose any shadows that give the subject depth.

Get the flash unit off the camera.

You can a radio trigger set off ebay for under $35.

Here is one with a transmitter and 2 receivers, free shipping and only $40. I bought the same kit as a gift for a friend about 2 weeks ago and it was $45 then.

Another place to look is GadgetInfinity.com

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i was interested in buying one of those kits, but not just yet....however, im talking for photography "on the go". for example when im walking the streets of the city at dusk or even for fill flash during the day. i mostly take shots without having the time to set up anything. so i guess you could say i do "candid" photography.

would a diffuser be any better for me in this sense?

also, as far as that kit goes up there...i dont have a nikon branded flash. i have a Bower. will that still work with this flash?

Most reactions

Back