On Restoring...

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Mitica100, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whenever I grab an old camera, I always start by cleaning any exposed metal or plastic surfaces with a stack of q-tips and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Works wonders to get rid of old grime, dirt, stains, etc.

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've posted this before a long time ago:

Stiff mechanical parts (plastic or metal) can be restored with DeoxIT Faderlube. It's a solvent lubricant. Basically if you spray it on something, it acts as a solvent to dissolve away junk, and leaves behind a buttery smooth layer of lubrication. The company also makes a number of other special-application lubricants and solvents that are worth their weight in gold. The Faderlube is the most multi-purpose though. It's just amazing stuff. It's completely safe (designed for, in fact) metal and plastic-conductive contacts, so if you need to clean a battery housing or something, then it work work a treat.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

You can order it online. It's also available across the U.S. at Guitar Center. May also be available at Sam Ash.

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A quick fix solution for any rangefinder camera with a very dim RF window. It comes via Rick Oleson's website, a trove of restoring tips:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Wow! What a simple and efficient solution! Thank you Mr. Oleson!!!:hail:

• Like Like x 1
  4. pkrpkr

pkrpkr TPF Noob!

Especially for the old bellows cameras with sticky shutters: screw off the shutter and the lenses and rinse the remaining shutter assembly in gasoline. Just shortly because the alcohol in the gasoline is aggressive. For lubrication I use teflon spray, but just a tiny bit - don't let it get on the shutter leaves, glass or diaphragm iris! Here is a host of repair sites

5. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Never use gasoline, it leaves a residue. Use Ronsonol or Naphta. Also, don't lubricate the shutter mechanism, it is designed to work without oil. If you must though, use NyOil, specially designed for the fine mechanisms.

For removing the dullness of the metal bodies of cameras, use NEVRDULL from your local hardware store. They are cotton swabs/patches with a chemical on them which will restore the metal on your cam. If it gets on the leatherette it will leave a white-ish residue, easily removed with some Windex.

6. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Down to a science!!

7. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A good resource page on camera repair:

CLICK

8. RichL

RichL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tip from the cameraleather site.

Once you have everything clean and set to go brush on a layer of alcohol hand sanitizer, the type without moisturizers (like the original Purell). This will allow you to position the leather exactly where it is needed without having to worry about a 'whoops'. I have used it successfully several times. I let it sit for a day or two before handling it.

There are many different types out there so do test whatever you purchase to make sure it works for you.

9. Evansshoots

Evansshoots TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure where this should go, so I've stuck it in a couple of places...

I have a selection of old M42 lenses that really need cleaning out inside. Most are not valuable, and I know some people dismantle their own lenses for cleaning.
    If anyone knows how to dismantle any of these lenses (below) please let me know. Alternatively, if you know of a site that may know, please post a link!
    Pentacon 200 mm f4
    Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8
    Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f4
    ausJena Flektogon 35mm f2.8
    Meyer-Optik Orestor 100mm f2.8
    Thanks very much!
    Dom

I have done some restoring of older cameras before (including my favourite: an Ihagee bellows).

As far as leather camera cases are concerned, I have a few suggestions. A lot of older cameras came supplied with their own purpose-built leather case, which you naturally want to keep and use. Often the stitching has gone. Whilst you can use a thick linen thread through the same holes (always use the old holes if you can), I would reccomend using thick, high-quality elastic thread. This means the case can take far more abusewithout breaking. Also, once you've polished over the whole thing, the thick elasitc looks much like the original thread did.

10. Agnessa

Agnessa TPF Noob!

good tipps, thanks

11. deeslexia

deeslexia TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Different colour leather coverings are available from bookbinding companies .

12. minicoop1985

minicoop1985 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I mentioned this in the thread for my Hasselblad 1600f. I'm posting this here in case anyone runs into a Kodak Ektar 80mm f2.8 lens with a sticky focus ring. Fairly easy little restoration, and something I could actually write up.