On site photo buisness ??

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by firemedic0135, Jun 29, 2007.

1. firemedic0135

firemedic0135 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am looking to get started with my sports photography buisness this fall when soccer gets going.There are no other photogs here offering this service and I have a few questions before I try to go much further.

My plan as of right now is to pass out cards with my website/flickr so that parents can view their childrens photos online and order the shots the want.I realize that on site viewing/printing would be best but there is no electrical access at the fields and my generator would just be abnoxious/loud.I also planned on printing some pictures at home and bringing them to the field for parents to view/puchase if they desire.

I would also like to make a donation to the soccer club from my proceeds and was thinking around 7%.

I want to have all things planned out when I contact the head of the soccer club to get the final go ahead and make sure I am not forgeting anything that could come up and bite me in the arse.

One of my concerns is how to keep track of all the diff players.There will be kids on about 6 different fields and shooting will be quite fast and hectic.advise from other sports photogs here would be greatly appreciated.I have a few ideas but some other input would be nice.

Thanks in advance

2. smyth

smyth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    maybe you should just group the photos by teams, or by the games. know what i mean?

just make a note to yourself photos from xx.jpg to xx.jpg are this game with these teams, and so on and so forth.

3. BAB

BAB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Grouping them by games or teams is a good start. I would also ask the league for a reliable volunteer in exchange for a 10% donation. The volunteer would help you to keep track of your photographs. Your first frame should be some sort of identifier of what is to come. It can be as elaborate has the team photograph followed by the individual players or as simple as a slate (card) with the name of the group written on it. Your volunteer would then note on a piece of paper, each player.

4. LeeLeeMelis

LeeLeeMelis TPF Noob!

Maine-but currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan
    Photos OK to edit
    Having the volunteer will ensure you are able to keep your mind on taking good photos which is why you're there in the first place. I write down the number and the name of each kid and have them get in line in the order I wrote them down in. I dont photograph in the same venue as you but it works for me. As far as allowing the parents to order the photos. Do you need to have the photos right there for them to view? I personally would take the time and post them to a website and have them view the edited image online. I use EZPhotosales and have done very well with it. Check out my site and go to the client galleries link on the top right of the home page. You can view one of my current clients but typing in "OkiDance" as the session Id and "Burgess" as the password. I hope that helps you a bit!
    Good luck!

www.mwbphotography.com