On the Other Side of the Lens

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Often before shooting a portrait session, I think... what if I was the subject? How would I want the photographer to act? What would I want as a client?

What I'm trying to learn here, is how to act like a photographer. In sports, this isn't as much the case, but for getting people to react, it means almost everything.

So, if you've ever been on the other side of the lens, share your thoughts. If you've gotten married, list things your photographer did or didn't do, that you liked or disliked. Same goes for any type of portrait session, etc.

I'm generally not on the other side of the lens, but how they want you to act and how you actually act to elicit a response, the response, that you want aren't always going to be the same and can even cone to clash certain times.

That's the fun part about being a photographer though; interacting and pushing buttons to get things your way.

Example? The last shoot I did I had a girl look like the was tattooing some guy's back. She asked what did I want here to do, so I told her to look evil. Of course, the response was, "I can't do evil". I then made some smart ass comment that made her laugh and snapped the photo just at that time, getting the look I was going for.

One of the pros featured on The Strobist Blog stated something along the lines that you don't always want the cheese smile, you have to talk and interact and sometimes the best photos come from that moment whe you get a picture of the subject frowning or lost in a moment of contemplation.

good thought.

During the few times I've had my photo taken, I know that personally I HATE it when the photographer is messing with his gear. Even before I knew anything about photography, and wasn't interested in the gear. One time, he would review each picture after shooting, and go... "hmmph" or something like that, like as in disapproval. That doesn't exactly help the mood!

Another photographer always moved, never reviewed a picture (at least, not that I saw), and kept shooting. I didn't have time to think, except react to his coolness.

When I'm shooting people I am in total control. Everything is explained to the subject. I will say things like "that was cute, but straighten your back" or "Perfect! Hold that pose. I'm going to shoot a couple of different exposures". I feel that interaction is very important. Also trying to get a different pose for each exposure. This helps to quickly cut through the "cheese" and get to the subjects real or perceived personality.

Love & Bass

When in the studio, I ask for them to bring in a cd from their car or pick something out. You want them to feel comfortable. Talking and encouraging is key imo. If you question your work, so may the client. It's why I mostly stick with cars, lol.

I think communication is very important (obviously). I really dont have much other since most of my shoots are with friends or friends of friends. And it mainly all of bmx/skating/etc which i do to so i can relate to them. I just tell them to pretend im not there but occasional tell them to do certain stuff or let them know before i do some different (like stand right in front of them until the last second to get a shot)

When I'm shooting people I am in total control. Everything is explained to the subject. I will say things like "that was cute, but straighten your back" or "Perfect! Hold that pose. I'm going to shoot a couple of different exposures". I feel that interaction is very important. Also trying to get a different pose for each exposure. This helps to quickly cut through the "cheese" and get to the subjects real or perceived personality.

Love & Bass

Ditto. That's exactly what I do too, explain everything.

Don't let them sit there smiling wondering when you're gonna be done fidling with settings
tell them to relax their face and that you'll countoff at 3 seconds till NOT as soon as you put your eye to the viewfinder

I've had people see me look into the camera and they'll smile but I just say "hold on" until one day I got school portraits with my smiles all lopsided. I confronted the photographer and he said "Oh crap, that happens, I'm kinda new and I keep forgetting to tell people to relax until I'm ready. You see, if your face gets tired, the weak muscles die out and the strong ones take over for the shot" soooo apparently the right side of my face is stronger than my left. I no longer tell people to wait, I tell them ahead of time not to smile until I count it off

Most reactions

Back