On the verge of committing a Tele-Crime ?

Ben-71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 is due to join my D300 next week.

I've never used any Teleconverter, only "straight" lenses.
I also don't learn too much from the somewhat conflicting reviews of the
AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II and -
AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
Shots that I've seen on the Internet didn't seem to surrender enough info, to assess a potential quality drop.

The temptation to carry a Teleconverter instead of yet more lenses is obvious, but I get the 70-200 in order to gain quality.
No point in loosing it to a Teleconverter, in enlargements, say, up to about 20"x28" (50x70cm).

Does anyone here have experience with a TC-14e II and/or TC-14e II
on the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 ?
How much am I going to be fined for this crime?
Please share.

Thanks,

Ben

Well that Nikkor lens is in the same price braket as the Canon f2.8 70-200mm so I will assume that they are of a comparable overall quality.
With that in mind I know that the canon will work very well with the 1.4* converter and will also give good results with the 2*converter (though you do have to stop down with the converters a little more to get that same sharpness).

Overall I don't think its a crime I consider it a good way to get a decent 400mm lens out of a 200mm *at the max end* if you cannot get a full 400mm lens.

If it's a crime, than I am due to report to jail. The 1.4x TC works flawlessly with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. These two lenses are at the high end of image quality and perform quite similarly, so degradation is minimal. On a 2x TC like Overead stated, it is soft wide-open so stopping down is a bit better but the sharpness still really isn't there at 100% crop. It will do in a pinch, but I rather have the lens.

I use a TC-14E II with my 70-200mm f/2.8 quite often, with fantastic results. Arrest me.

Thanks, people.

OK, I was almost set on getting the TC-14E II. I'll order it.
I also consider the TC-17E II, but not the TC-20E II.

Phranquey, wanna share a lawyer? :)

Most reactions

Back