On the Water 05/15 Galveston Texas

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by wiredhernandez, May 15, 2009.

1. wiredhernandez

wiredhernandez TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK guys. I was up at 4:30 am for a morning off work to fish and maybe snap a few shots... There was a chance of storms this morning and at sunup things were looking really dramatic with the sunrise behind the looming clounds. I snapped a few but really missed out on the photo drama opportunity. Please tell me how you would have shot this ? I am definitely a novice enthusiast and appreciate any pointers you may have. All shots are straight off the cam with no processing. I would have really like to capture the varous colors in the sky and not have the shoreline so dark. I dont think there was any real difference with AP mode after increasing my ISO value because the cam doubled my shutter speed arrgh ...Thanks for your input.

AP Mode / ISO 800 / AP 10 / 28mm / EXP 1/400
    [​IMG]

AP Mode / ISO 1600 / AP 10 / 28mm / EXP 1/800
    [​IMG]

AP Mode / ISO 1600 / AP 10 / 135mm / EXP 1/200
    [​IMG]

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For landscapes I would really take and use a tripod for these scenes - even a lighter cheap one (just keep within hands reach for when it falls). That would let you shoot with a slower shutter speed, and thus use a lower ISO - you want your ISO down in the 100 area - aperture looks good to me, but that aspect for landscape is one that I am not strong on, but I feel that you have the right idea with a smaller aperture (bigger f number).

Aside from that if you want the sky and land exposed well in a shot then you have 2 basic options.
    1) use a ND grad filter which will reduce the amount of light coming in for one part of the filter whilst allowing normal light through the rest -that lets you reduce the amount of light coming from the sky and thus you can expose for the ground as well in a single shot. Note that its best to get the filters that fit into a holder (Cokin or Lee) so that you can adjust the position of change (the area where the blocking and non-blocking meet) so that you can adjsut for the amount of land/sky in your shot -- the lens screw in sort have this divide right in the middle - and that is not always where you want the land/sky divide appearint.

2) HDR - that is take two or more shots - one shot exposed for the sky where the ground gets underexposed (Black) and another for the land where the sky gets overexposed (white) and then combine the results into a single image using either manual methods or an HDR program.

That is about all I can input to the taking of the shots - as for the ones you have I only have limited editing advice, but I would try to add to the "pop" of the first two but increasing contrast and also running some noise reduction over the shot.

3. wiredhernandez

wiredhernandez TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds as if the ND filter would be the way to go. I was fishing on boat so the tripod multi shots probably wouldn't work for me. I will work on that . Thanks for the input.

4. wiredhernandez

wiredhernandez TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I did work on HDR function of my camera a bit yesterday. I come upon such scenes periodically on the water and will use HDR when practical. I appreciate the time taken with your reply. A real steady hand as there is not much room for a tripod on the boat.. ;)