One Camera-One lens

bodies come and goes but lens will stay. There is nothing wrong to buy a low end body while you are starting out learning. This will allow you to spend less money on the body, and invest some more money on good lens, so the total cost balance out. The other thing it allows to do is to see if you actually have the time and patience to learn photography. My sister spents 900 for a Canon system for my brother-in-law, who seem to have "interest" in learning, but so far it's been sitting in his closet.

I would buy a XTi and a Tamron 17-50F2.8

This is my all around lens and it has been AWESOME...I use it for macro, for inside low light, for outside.

I picked the XTi for a couple simple reasons...MP's and LCD screen size. I admit that I dont truly know what it was like to take shots with an SLR where you didnt even have a screen (i shot plenty of film, just on a vivitar disposable), but if you are gonna have a screen the darn thing should be as big as possible.

Freedbaby

Depending on budget - Pentax K100D or K10D, but with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro. I Love mine, great entry point and well worth the extra cash to upgrade from the kit lens!

If somebody came up to you and said, "I want to buy a decent camera that will allow me to change lenses," what ONE camera and ONE lens would you suggest

Price IS an object so low, entry level end, but good enough to get quality to semi-quality shots.

From my reading around about Nikon cameras I think the D50 with it's zoom kit lens is the right choice. D70 has only 2" screen and jurassic era technology, although the 18-70 zoom is so good, that is the only worthy thing in it to own. But I never hold any of them except in the shop.

From my reading around about Nikon cameras I think the D50 with it's zoom kit lens is the right choice. D70 has only 2" screen and jurassic era technology, although the 18-70 zoom is so good, that is the only worthy thing in it to own. But I never hold any of them except in the shop.

I had to laugh at the Jurassic era reference. We obviously have much different frames of reference. :lol:

A Nikon D80 with the 35 mm f/2 - it gives the feeling of a 'natural' perspective. I find a 50 mm on a DX-sized sensor too long as a sole lens (think 75 mm on a full frame) and I'm quite surprised at how many people are recommending it.

Best,
Helen

Helen beat me to it. I use the 35mm f/2.0 a lot on my DX cameras. Very sharp and reasonable fast. It is the DX cameras nifty fifty.

D50 and D70 have the same technology... :confused: D50 has a 2" screen too. IMO the D70 is a better camera than the D50 if only because it's got two command dials, while the D50 only has one in the rear. And I do own one, not just a shop holder, so I have a little experience here.. my brother owns a D50 and it's a great camera too though.

are you thinking of the d40 in your mind but typing d50 or something?

Personally, one camera + one lens, I would get a used d70s and a 18-200 lens. That way you've got your bases covered as far as focal lengths, and unlike the d40, all AF lenses can focus on it. (that matters to me)

A Nikon D80 with the 35 mm f/2 - it gives the feeling of a 'natural' perspective. I find a 50 mm on a DX-sized sensor too long as a sole lens (think 75 mm on a full frame) and I'm quite surprised at how many people are recommending it.

Best,
Helen

I was thinking the exact same thing. No way i'd be able to use just my 75.. i mean, 50mm as a sole lens. I could handle my 24mm f/2.8 though if I were just using primes.

if you gave him a prime lens, wouldn't he be a very grouchy man that his slr camera can't zoom :wink:

Uses the best zoom around - your legs :thumbup:

Recommended the 50mm for the price and the f/1.8 ... hard to beat ~$70. Heck, good B&W filters cost more then this.

Not sure about other beginners, nothing frustrates me more then dark pictures. Being a newb, my knowledge is limited in how to get more light in order to take picture - if I could, I would carry around a 500W floodlight for lighting purpose :lol:

i think a sticky with a guide is in order, with like 5 cameras from each company ranging in price and then the choice of the best for the money out of each category. then people could take a look at the sticky and have an easy beginners guide to buying a dslr
It's called DP Review, and they do a stellar job updating the info as soon as it becomes available. Go to their side-by-side comparison site, it rocks.

if you gave him a prime lens, wouldn't he be a very grouchy man that his slr camera can't zoom :wink:
Walk, it gives you much better feeling for the shot.

A Nikon D80 with the 35 mm f/2 - it gives the feeling of a 'natural' perspective.
Ditto.

To reiterate Helen's & Iron's point, 50mm is too long on a crop sensor. Whatever the body, a 28 or 35mm prime will be best suited. CAnon 30 or 40D & EF 35 f/1.4 L :wink:

Wow! Lots of great responses. Will make a good "POSSIBILITIES" sheet for handing out. Thanks everybody.

(Additional responses still welcome!)

Most reactions

Back