One camera?

I can remember people coming up to me in a national park when I was under a tree with a changing bag. They would ask "what are you doing with that black thing?" "I'm reloading film holders for the camera." "Why don't you get one like mine. The film comes in a cartridge and snaps right in. Couldn't be easier." "I'll have to look into that."

What motivates someone to take 80 lbs. of photo gear into the wilds to shoot things so inconveniently? You got me.

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the paper negs, Mystery Scribe.

I can relate to the wilderness. I go to re enactments with the old cameras and become part of the show. I want to find one of the old wooden box camera with barrel lens and tripod to take to them. So far I haven't been able to find one for less than my last car cost.

it keeps me sane more or less.

Tough question between two, I would have no problem letting my 4x5's go, but I would keep my Kodak Mastview 8x10. I would fight real hard to keep my Korona 12x20 as I could always make an 8x10 back for it!

As for carry 80lbs of gear into the woods... I've done it on a 2 week canoe trip which included 50 miles of portage, in the end it was a mistake as photographing was not the sole purpose of the trip, and you could see it in the photographs. If you are going to do it, have it be the reason for the trip, take your time and get plenty of rest, the purpose and intent must be there to achieve quality results.

This question got me thinking.... I love using the Canon for snapshots and stuff like that, and I'd hate to part with it just because when I go somewhere touristy it doesn't make me look like a total photo geek which can happen when hauling around the big ol Nikon. Plus the Canon always gives me vivid colors right out of the camera, its battery lasts for days, and I can reasonably control it better than the average point and shoot. Plus, it was free (the wife won it in a drawing at one of the conferences she attended).

But I guess if I were to keep up photography, especially action photography, there's no way I could give up the Nikon. I'll live with being labeled a photo geek if it means having a camera I can trust seven days a week and know (almost) exactly what I'm going to get every time I take it out.

It was a tougher decision than I thought it would be. Glad I don't have to actually make it.

Patrice said:
I've never sold any, but I regret losing a Rolleiflex TLR many years ago.

I feel your pain! :hug:: That's a tough loss...;)

Most reactions

Back