one final lens selection...

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi guys,
lately just being overwhelmed by the amount of lens selection canon users have and for the right price (was using a7s b4 with just a 28mm f2). so with the help of this forum, i ended up getting a 35mm f2 for daily shots and 70-200 f4 non IS for occasionally using it for volleyball.
i am now looking to get a 3rd and final lens. i will still be using the 35mm f2 as my daily lens but do need some sort of a zoom when i go for a family trip and need various focal lengths.
what i have in mind is either the
canon 24-105mm F4 IS or
canon 17-40mm F4

i am aware that both of them are totally different lengths but the way i look at it is
the both cover 35mm .. they both can go wider if needed. they both are f4 and not too heavy..

the 17-40 benefits from going more wider which could help me capture landscapes etc.. while the 24-105mm give me more range for portraits... which one would you guys choose?

What kind of family trips d you take?

I ask because of weight if they're hiking trips.
or whether just sightseeing, would you rather zoom ALL the way in, or go investigate with your feet to get closer?

But yeah, I would go with the 24-105, or even a 24-70 and use your legs for the extra 35 - your legs will be lighter anyways because your wallet will be emptier.

thanks for the reply,
i usually use it for family pics (4-5 people in one pic). mostly i use the 35mm which is more than enough for me. i have never used the 50mm length which is why i haven't bought one yet.
yes weight is also important for me which is why the 24-70 is out of question and plus the sort of pics i take, f2.8 is not really a requirement as i snap mostly at f5-8

Watch Tony Northrup's YouTube video comparing the 24-105 Canon lens with the 24-105 Sigma Art lens. The video demonstrates that the Canon 24-105 is getting dated.

I can tell you that based on what you are asking, you have no clue what you want. Don't purchase an ultrawide lens if you have no clue what you want. Ultrawide, in my opinion, is great for experimentation, but for long-lasting usage, you need to truly know what you are doing. For me, without a tripod and a neutral density filter, I wouldn't own an ultrawide.

What kind of family trips d you take?

I ask because of weight if they're hiking trips.
or whether just sightseeing, would you rather zoom ALL the way in, or go investigate with your feet to get closer?

But yeah, I would go with the 24-105, or even a 24-70 and use your legs for the extra 35 - your legs will be lighter anyways because your wallet will be emptier.

yeah, they're bigger and heavier and the newer 24-70 2.8 II is more expensive

Most reactions

New Topics

Back