One for the girls - Shooting male nudes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedo_03
ART is one thing... SEXUALITY and PERVERSION is something else...

The fact that you equate the two says a lot about you, and the society we live in. Why is nudity so terrible?
Aha - Am I to presume that 'what' it says about me is negative..?
Just because I don't happen to agree with YOUR views on mankind, the Earth and the Universe empowers you to make and pass judgements on me - does it??
And I didn't say that nudity is terrible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedo_03
Well - That is true - men can provide a wider range of angles than women... 192 deg (7 oclock) flaccid - to 270 deg (11 oclock) turgid...
But is it the "angle of the dangle" that provides the visual compulsion - or the inherent sexuality of the aroused male...?
Put another way - Would "David" be more attractive at 270 deg than he is now...?

When I wrote about "angles" I knew someone was going to make an erection joke. I just didn't know how long it would take, and how lame it would be. Obviously those two unknowns have been answered.
Short answer: so the word "angles" conjures up subliminal thoughts of erections in your mind too - eh?
Long answer: I've been around (both life and the internet) for far too long to be even the slightest bothered by the kind of childish derision you offer here, more so because your remarks are made behind the anonymity of the internet.
Perhaps we should all maintain a photographic focus on a photographic forum rather than promulgating our personal beliefs, philosophies and mores - and not resort to negative comment when some other thinking person has an alternative view.

Crimen non est circum bananam condomum flectere
Jedo

Yes, clearly you're not bothered. Hence the lengthy response. In bold font, no less.

Reread your own response. You wrote that you're not willing to accept art is a viable reason, and that it must be either narcissism or blatant sexual exposure. Nor were any other reasons acceptable to you, except of course solely the ones you could think of. But go ahead, pass judgment based on the extremely limited information we have here.

In terms of angles, to me the collar bones, the abs, the arms are more attractive from a woman with softer features, whereas on a man I prefer them fitter. The lighting and shading on a man is a lot more interesting. But go ahead, boner jokes are always funny to a certain crowd.

I was just thinking the other day how common photos of nude women are, but you rarely see shots of nude men. "Nudes" - that is, nude women - seems to be a genre in photography. But dudes? Nah. Weird, the greeks would sculpt nothing but nude men.

If I were you I might be weary myself, especially considering how he contacted you. But I also have to agree with Iron...I guess this is what you would call one of those tough decisions.

I guess my two cents are if you have a friend (preferably a good-sized male), at the very least to keep the shoot professional, at most to protect you, you should be fine. But don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable.

I don't know but personally nudes have no appeal to me. The only person I like to see nude is my wife.

If, however, I was asked to do a nudist wedding then I would be happy to do so - I'm not bothered in the slightest about nudity.

I've been asked by a good number of women to take nudes of them. When I told them I would do it if my girlfriend could come that ended all interest in the photo's. I'd do the same thing here, and if he still wants to do it, then why not?

To the OP - he could be hanging up because he's nervous or he's a creep - there's no telling.

I think it would be foolish to meet with him alone, personally, but maybe once you speak to him over the phone you'll get a better idea of what sort of person you are dealing with. I agree there could be any number of reasons that he could want the photos and the reason, so long as he is willing to pay, is immaterial, except to set the tone of the images.

Good luck and report back with what you decide - I'm curious to know what happens.

Yes, it can be a red flag that you were contacted online, but isn't that why you have contact info on the web? Talk with him, see what he has in mind - and, just make sure you've got an assistant who you trust completely that will be there with you.

What is wrong about shooting nudes of men?

I myself contacted a female photographer once via her website to shoot nudes of me. She never replied, well maybe for the same reasons you have. Very disappointing.

Anyway, I would try it if I was you. OK, be careful when you meet him (assistant is always a good idea), but you should always be careful when meeting a stranger. I do not see additional risk since he will be nude.

I was recently approached by a man via my website
This part raises the red flag for me.

Why? That is what a photography website is for!
If you want a job done, you google to find someone in the area, and then pick the one you feel best for the job, and contact him or her via the website.

Would the photographer have to be nude at a nudist wedding?

I don't care too much whether I have to wear clothes or not. The only bummer is without my waistcoat (vest) I wouldn't have anywhere to put my batteries and CF cards. The only problem I can imagine is that I might upstage the groom :p

It seems strange for someone to volunteer themselves to be shot in the buff but if its for artistic reasons, i see no reason why it can´t just be an interesting project. Its better than someone asking if they can photograph YOU nude!

But yes, do be careful before allowing him to take all his clothes off in a confined space!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back