One lens everyone should have

Depends what I'm shooting :)

Low light portraits - 50mm f1.4 (would like the Sigma 30mm f1.4)
Studio Portraits and general walk around- 24-105f4L IS
Weddings/Events - I use all my lenses but I love the 70-200 f2.8L IS
Wildlife - 300 f4L IS (sometimes with the 1.4x)
Airshows - 70-200 f2.8L IS (w 1.4x) and/or 300f4L IS (w 1.4x)
Landscapes - EF-S 10-22 f3.5 - 4.5
Concerts - 85mm f1.8
Macro - 100mm f2.8 Macro

There's many more situations but when using a lens I use the one that I need at the time.

Ranger didn't ask "What lens should a beginner get first". She asked what lens should you carry in your bag and later refined to ... your favorite lens.

To answer her question the Canon 70-200 2.8 ... I like getting tight and I like to shoot available light ... this lens lets me do both under a wide spectrum of environmental conditions.

Gary

I have two carry around lens but the one I use most is the f4 70-210 nikkor push pull

I posted this topic to mainly find a good "next" lens. See what people liked and things.

I use my 50mm 1.4 the most simply because it is the best optically that I have, and it is very fast for low light shooting.

What kind of pictures do you like taking most?

I almost always shoot photographs outdoors, mostly wildlife and horses. I just paid my parents back for my camera I bought two weeks ago, now I would like to purchase a nice lens with somewhat of a zoom before all my money goes to saving money to put towards a car. I was thinking a Sigma 70-300mm but since it wouldnt be a IS I figured I would always need to shoot with a tripod. And I cant afford that in a IS lens.

50mm -but better mounted on the camera than in the bag ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back