One lens or three?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by cascadesjohn, Feb 16, 2010.

1. cascadesjohn

cascadesjohn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm a fascinated amateur, not a pro. Just learning digital photography. For my Nikon D80 I have the 50mm kit lens, a fixed wide-angle lens, and a 70-300mm zoom. Changing lenses is the pain that I didn't foresee when I started throwing my money around ;). Should I sell all three lenses and buy a Tamron 18-270mm lens with vibration control that I see advertised in the latest issue of "Outdoor Photographer"? I suspect lenses that are dedicated to a single task -- wide angle, telephoto, etc. - - do those things better than a lens that tries to do each of those things. Opinions on the truth of that statement? Any thoughts on how disappointed or happy I'd be making the above switch?

2. wiredhernandez

wiredhernandez TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What I have learned is that it is better to get specific lenses as the large range cover alot of bases but arent really great in any range... Most useful to me is the 18-50mm range .. Then a longer lens .. And probably a 50mm 1.8 or so... If I had to pick that would be it.... They best you can afford...

3. Foques

Foques TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^
    indeed.

The larger range lens covers, the slower it gets, it seems.. And if it is covering a wide range and is fast, then it is rather costly.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Absolutely! Stop the pain!

When convienence is more important than image quality, go for the super-zoom! :thumbup:

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The Tamron 18-270mm probably won't have vastly different image quality to your current 70-300mm lens - might be a bit softer at the long end though. Also the 18mm end there will be a lot more distortion of the image than in a regular wider angle lens.

However many photographers use a similar lens along with their more specific lenses. The 18-270mm type lens is their holiday and do all lens - the one they slap on when they don't want to be carrying loads of gear; changing lenses and "being the photographer". They also keep the rest of their gear though for times when they do want to be "the photographer" which is when image quality and features of the lenses start to come to the fore.

If you feel that you are needing that easy all in one then go for it, but don't forget that using other - better - lenses for specific interests will give you better results overall.

6. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It all depends on your personal needs. If you need the best image quality, a super zoom like that isn't really the best choice. But if you want the versatility of only having to put one lens on all day (which certainly is nice), and don't mind some issues of distortion or CA, then a super zoom is just the tool for the job! All lenses serve some kind of purpose and all lenses make some kind of compromize to do that. Quality, versatility, and price are in very tight ballance, and you can't have it all in a lens.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I think this answers the question....

but.. I think you should save and do better.

In generally this is true. A zoom is a balance of compromises between IQ and convenience... some zooms are better at maintaining IQ (often at the result of weight and size).

Think of it this way. If you find your equipment a PITA, then what is the point? After all, an amateur should enjoy their hobby.

I personally don't like lugging around stuff and prefer the equipment to fit ME not the other way around. I used to say to myself... "The next time I carry this much weight in photo equipment, I'd better be earning a paycheck." (At the time, I had decided that professional photog wasn't in my future)

8. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, buy my Sigma 18-250 instead. :)

9. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get a Canon G11 if you can't be bothered to change lenses.

10. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sure. If you do get the Tamron Di-II 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC, you may want to hang onto your prime lens for those occasions when you want a large aperture and very sharp image quality.

11. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    dont do it!! image quality and speed are more important then zoom coverage. if you need more zoom just use your feet, or crop the image.

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You might like to read this article which discusses different user types, like th "economy DX" user, the "let's go pro" user,etc.

Nikkor Lens Assessment by Thom Hogan

Lenses can be assembled into lens kits with different end uses in mind. If you really want the convenience of never needing to change lenses, the superzooms like Sigma's 18-250mm or Tamron's 18-270mm are one possible solution. THe problem with the superzoom type lenses is that they have a number of compromises--lower sharpness and less light gathering power than more modest lenses with shorter zoom ranges.

One thing to note is that 2010 is expected to be a big year for new Nikon lenses. There could be more choices by summer.