One lens Vs Another

Rgollar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased the 70-200 f2.8 II version lens and I love it. My question Is the 135 f2L really that much sharper then the 70-200 lens? I am wondering if its really worth getting since I have that focal length covered? I would use it for primarily shooting random potraits on a canon 6d. Just wondering if its really that much sharper?

I wouldn't bother

The 135mm was sharper than the original 70-200mm f2.8 IS L - the new MII version of the zoom is sharper and the differences are thus that much smaller.

The differences are thus mostly:

1) Image circle/bokeh rendering between the two differs. This will be either important to you or not; and in some cases its not a case of one being "better" just of two different approaches and looks

2) 135mm can go to f2 - which is in the real world not a huge jump from f2.8 in all honesty.

3) 135mm is lighter and smaller.

4) One is a zoom the other a prime; for some this has no relevance; for others it can be a big reason - depends on yourself.

Sharpness might be different, but I suspect its pixel peeping and minor - even more so after editing. Both are high end high performance lenses (heck the original 70-200mm f2.8 IS was also a high performance pro lens)

If you're interested I'd say head down the local store/camera club and have a see if you can try the 135mm and get a feel for it and compare its results to your other lens. Might be you think the differences minor enough that its not worth having - or you'll like the whole nature of the prime and want to swap for the zoom.

There's no real right nor wrong answer here; so its very much up to your own choice.

Thank you overread for taking the time to answer in such detail. I think testing one out is the best option. Thanks again I really appreciate the insight.

the Canon 135L is the only lens ... the only thing Canon that makes me jealous of Canon shooters. It's a magical lens. Yes, you have the range covered with the 70-200 but each lens has a distinct personality in my opinion. The 135L is an amazing piece of glass.

Thanks Trever coming from you that says alot. I really admire your photos thanks

Last edited:
Well after some reading on the lens, and the times where a smaller lighter lens would be nice I ordered the 135 f2.0 lens. I think it will be a nice lens to the collection. Should have it by Thursday cant wait. Thanks all for the replys

Most reactions

New Topics

Back