One more lens

glenna1984

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own a Nikon d7200 camera and 18x300 mm zoom lens.

I am looking for one prime lens. Most of my work is landscape photography. However, I also do a lot of street photography. I am not into portraits.

Do any of you own a single prime lens that you use for landscape and street photography?

Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

As for a single lens for landscape and street no. As some people use wide angle for landscape and some use a telephoto lens. Street photography is useually with a "normal" prime lens I thik. On a crop sensor like your D7200 that would be a 35mm lens. And Nikon happens to make a very good inexpensive 35mm prime. But if you want to do street architecture type photos the 35mm might be a little too long focal length wise. The 35mm f/1.8 lens is not very expensive. You just might pick it, and maybe look for something else for landscape.

Your 18-300mm lens is a do all lens and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But you should be able to get decent landscapes with it. Unless your having problems with low light. There are several posts on this site where photographers talk about using telephoto lenses for landscape and the reasons why. Also can probably get a lot from a Google search on it. And there are lots of youtube videos as well.

Nikon 35 1.8 G Dx

You can get one for about $150 used and it’s an incredible lens. Same goes for the 50 1.8 G.

I'm not clear about why you think you can't do street photography with a zoom lens. Perhaps you should consider getting a better zoom lens with a more modest zoom range. I would suggest the little 18-55. That's right. The often maligned kit lens will outperform yours. For a prime lens I would probably opt for a 28 or 35.

I currently own a Nikon d7200 camera and 18x300 mm zoom lens.

I am looking for one prime lens. Most of my work is landscape photography. However, I also do a lot of street photography. I am not into portraits.

Do any of you own a single prime lens that you use for landscape and street photography?

Any input would be appreciated.
As far as I know, there is no one ideal focal length for either landscape or street. You can do either subjects with any lens you wish, including longer focal lengths.

I realize that many people assume that one is required to use a wide angle lens because Gary Winograd did. I agree that if you're going to go out and emulate GW with his "in your face" style of photography, then a wide lens is probably the best choice. However with a longer lens, you can get candids which can be very nice, so I wouldn't overlook the choice of a longer lens for street.

Same for landscape. Most people seem to think they must capture IT ALL in order for a landscape photo to be successful. I don't agree.

So now to address your question: You already have every focal length covered in your zoom, so I suggest you go back to look at your favorite shots to see what focal length you shot them at. If you have a preponderance of shots taken at say 50mm, then the choice of a new prime will be obvious. Whichever focal length you to seem to favor would be my highest recommendation for your prime lens.

BTW: I have several prime lenses, but I have selected most of them for portraiture, so I can't help in that regard.

35 f/1.8 is the equivalent of a "normal" lens.
This would be a good lens where you are in LOW light.

However, I use my 18-140 lens 95+% of the time.
In my case, that 5% is where I pull out my longer lenses for reach, not street work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back