One more strobed shot please

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I posted one earlier but I'm hoping to get opinions but that was an action shot and this is a portrait. Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated!

ISO 100, F/6.3, 1/200
D90 with SB-600 in shoot through high camera right on full power.

4594461936_6faf0e89c6_b.jpg

I see the residuals of your flash on the top right. I think maybe your OCF it's too far infront relative to your camera. If I shoot with OCF I would shoot under the sun to have more dynamic range with the colours and setup the flash opposite facing the sun to equalize the shadows. That way you can control your ambient much easier since your ratios are even. Unlike this one, it's kinda tough where you can see his background is partly shaded. Tough to control situations like that. To me it's either all under the shade or all under the sun.

The shot is decent though.

I didn't think my flash would be able to overpower the sun that's why I was shooting in the shade. What you say makes sense though and when I go back out I'll give it a go.

As to the residuals of the flash I saw them too and was hoping someone would mistake it for sun bouncing off a window or something lol. I like the effect but definitely know it's not the proper way and probably detracts overall from the shot.

Thanks for the input and advice!

I didn't think my flash would be able to overpower the sun that's why I was shooting in the shade.

With one subject and a SB-600 I think you can easily pull it off. I can even over power the sun with my 430EX ... your 600 should be the equivalent of Nikon. With a wide angle and having the flash close to your subject should do it.

Just wondering are you using any lighting modifiers (umbrella, softbox etc) or is it just the bare flash?

I'm using a 23" shoot through umbrella. Someone on here posted a link to a 45" that I'm getting next week along with another stand and mount so I'm excited to see what a larger umbrella may bring to the table as well as an umbrella that I can bounce the falsh into.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back