One of my first shots

Silkwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering what you think of this shot

Hamilton%20-%20Lighthouse.jpg

It's kind of boring and flat. Even the water is. I think it would be better just to retake the photo from a different angle.

Silkwood, I think that you have a good eye, and I really liked this picture. But I thought it needed a little fine tuning, and I really hope you don't mind, but I spruced it up a bit for you.

First, I cropped a bit off of the left hand side, and a little off the top, just so it wasn't so centered.
Then I did auto levels, and auto contrast. I also adjusted the hue and saturation a little, and viola!
I hope I helped you out a little bit!
Very nice shot, keep it up!

Maine.jpg

I agree that colors need editing, but the composision is quite ok. But you have to practice with photshop a bit. On edited picture the lighthouse is too white

I have to agree, I don't much like the composition. Maybe if you were closer to the water. I do like the idea though.

I like the soft focus and soft colors in the original. That's quite a change from the ordinary razor sharp contrast.
The horizontal thirds are ok in the composition, but the lack of vertical thirds application makes it too static. I don't know if a left border crop could save it since there is importaint detail to the left of the white house. I would be a better photo if the white house could have been 1/3 of the distance from the left border. BTW, I like your photo.

ShutterBug4_4 said:
Silkwood, I think that you have a good eye, and I really liked this picture. But I thought it needed a little fine tuning, and I really hope you don't mind, but I spruced it up a bit for you.

ShutterBug4_4, I admire your enthusiasm for photoshop. Keep up the good work.

Shutterbugs alterations were a little too radical for my tastes...so I tried my own hand at it. I cropped off a part of the water in the foreground and some on the right....I only wish there was more to be seen on the left. Anyhow, I do like the colors of the lighthouse (specially the red top) etc.

Hamilton_Lighthouse_copy.jpg

Lyanna said:
Shutterbugs alterations were a little too radical for my tastes...so I tried my own hand at it. I cropped off a part of the water in the foreground and some on the right....I only wish there was more to be seen on the left. Anyhow, I do like the colors of the lighthouse (specially the red top) etc.

Hamilton_Lighthouse_copy.jpg

Perfect composition. With the crop from the right side, you've eliminated the tall white pole and effectively eliminated contention with the main subject. I quite prefer your other alterations, too. Good eye, there Lyanna.

Good idea and subject matter for this photo.

I find my eyes ping ponging around trying to settle on a subject. I believe the subject is the light house but it sits smack in the middle of the frame.

The crop done by Lyanna still leaves me bouncing between the two bright red objects in the photo. A little more of a crop on the left would correct that and position the building to intersect with the right 1/3 powerline. The base of the building/rocks I believe works better on the bottom 1/3.

If you have a chance to take this photo again try moving yourself further to the right, allowing for a better profile of the front of the building and the rocky structure leading into the photo more towards the lower right corner. This would also have the effect of cropping more of the right hand side.

Canonrebel: thanks :)

Slowboat: yes, I see what you mean. I was afraid however to crop off too much on the right hand side because there would be even less of the picture left...I wish there was more water present on the left :)

Most reactions

Back