One of the stupidest things ive ever heard.

photo28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who decided to make L-B the abreviation for pounds?
I honestly do not see the connection of lb to p-o-u-n-d-s ... do you?

Speaking of stupid abbreviations... Why is Barrel (be it a barrel of oil, or a rifle barrel) abbreviated BBL? There is only one "B" in barrel, where does the second one come from?

Actually LB is for London Pound rather than TP for Troy Pound and Tower Pound.

So to answer your question, I believe it was the United States. There was much controversy about the "Imperial Pound" the "British Pound" and the "London Pound" around 1879 or so. From what I can make of it, the measurement for the "London Pound" (lb) is what was settled on. :mrgreen:

Explanation Link Here

Last edited:
From Wiki:

Roman libra

The libra (Latin for "pound") is an ancient Roman unit of mass that was equivalent to approximately 327 grams. It was divided into 12 uncia, or ounces. The libra is the origin of the abbreviation for pound, lb.

Talking about the Stupidest Things....These are from a great comedian (Gallagher) but they are pretty stupid.

Why do they call them apartments when they are all stuck together?
Get this...
You park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.
Cargo goes by ship, and shipment goes by truck.
You have a pair of panties, but just one bra.

Here's another one....Microsoft Works (program? or miracle?)

Yep pretty stupid....But true :mrgreen:

Talking about the Stupidest Things....These are from a great comedian (Gallagher) but they are pretty stupid.

Why do they call them apartments when they are all stuck together?
Get this...

Here's another one....Microsoft Works (program? or miracle?)

Yep pretty stupid....But true :mrgreen:
:lmao::biglaugh:
Some thing are just to stupid. But still, why would pounds as in weight use the same abreviation as London pounds as in money, that I cant figure out.
-all totally senseless and stupid yet we find ourselves saying at least one of those a day!

Microsoft Works, its sounds something like some terrible company would put out if one of their products is finally usuable and works.

:lmao::biglaugh:
Some thing are just to stupid. But still, why would pounds as in weight use the same abreviation as London pounds as in money, that I cant figure out.
-all totally senseless and stupid yet we find ourselves saying at least one of those a day!

Microsoft Works, its sounds something like some terrible company would put out if one of their products is finally usuable and works.

£ - Sterling is GBP, no LB. LB is only weight.

£ - Sterling is GBP, no LB. LB is only weight.
Oh, I got that from above.
Paul M.:
"Actually LB is for London Pound rather than TP for Troy Pound and Tower Pound"

and to make things worse... there is a pound force and pound mass... and usually we don't say which one we mean... Hail to the metric system!!!! Although we usually say somebody weighs ____ kg when really they weigh ____ N and they have a mass of _____ N/(9.81 m/s^2)...

I'm looking over this rightn ow as I decide on which springs to use on the front of my car.

3407b390.jpg

Most reactions

Back