one quick question

The critically important thing about tele-converters is that they magnify the lens... This sounds patently obvious, but the thing you have to consider is that every flaw or weakness in the lens becomes much more obvious with a tele-converter attached to it.

If you are going to use the TC on a pristine lens, like say a 400mm f2.8 prime, then it will prolly work pretty well because the lens is so excellent. If you are going to use it on a third party cheap 70-300 f/4.5-6.3, then you had better expect some heavy duty Holga type action.

Which one do you use more? the prime or zoom?

I know your not asking me, but I'd prefer a prime over a zoom...but only in the telephoto (300mm+) stages. I don't know why...but if I got a zoom like a 100-400mm I'd always wonder about getting a prime, whereas if I got the prime I wouldn't wonder about the zoom. Obviously I'd like a coupla fast primes in the 50mm range. BTW - I don't think Sabman has the 400mm f/2.8, that's a lens which would go in your siggy in bold + size 72 :p

/ramble

BTW - I don't think Sabman has the 400mm f/2.8, that's a lens which would go in your siggy in bold + size 72 :p

/ramble
LOL

Well i have here with me a pentax k1000 and 3 lenses all of them are primes, the build is incredible GREAT I've never touched an "L" series to compare since most people worship them hehe but this are "asahi optical co." "Takumar bayonet" the 135mm is f:2.5-22, my mom said that camera was purchased around 1980 and still they look great, the glass itself is a bit dirty, but are great. She said she paid less than 300.00$$for the cam and the 3 lenses here in panama, which is RARE for me, i don't know how much will it cost that in us at that time, here the xti cost about 1k with the kit, and I'm wondering if i could find lenses with that quality BUT that i can buy it without loosing my arm and leg.!!

can somebody explain focal length to him please? I'm pretty sure he doesn't get it...

But if you're getting the rebel XTi, I'd suggest just getting a 50mm 1.8 and learning..then decide on what you want after that. Once you understand more of how photography works.

LOL

Well i have here with me a pentax k1000 and 3 lenses all of them are primes, the build is incredible GREAT I've never touched an "L" series to compare since most people worship them hehe but this are "asahi optical co." "Takumar bayonet" the 135mm is f:2.5-22, my mom said that camera was purchased around 1980 and still they look great, the glass itself is a bit dirty, but are great. She said she paid less than 300.00$$for the cam and the 3 lenses here in panama, which is RARE for me, i don't know how much will it cost that in us at that time, here the xti cost about 1k with the kit, and I'm wondering if i could find lenses with that quality BUT that i can buy it without loosing my arm and leg.!!

The quality of a 300mm/400mm f/2.8 will be hard to beat. Such lenses are aimed at professionals, and are very good glass and very expensive. :)

can somebody explain focal length to him please? I'm pretty sure he doesn't get it...

But if you're getting the rebel XTi, I'd suggest just getting a 50mm 1.8 and learning..then decide on what you want after that. Once you understand more of how photography works.

i also ordered that one.

Good point but explaining that in here is a long journey my friend, and I don't think it's going to be easy to understand if one doesn't learn the basic first, by himself of course. And that's not quick :)

s3rocks, quick answer for quick question, Tamron has 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 macro, that probably answers your question right now (more than 12x zoom and macro).
But, IMHO choosing an SLR lens is not that simple, every lenses have their own characteristic and people usually buy a lens to cover what they need/want for their type of photography.

Which one do you use more? the prime or zoom?

Well, it depends :)

I use both. I use my 105 VR Macro a LOT (prolly 1/3 of my pictures), and any portrait type work I use my 50mm 1.8.

For long range work, which I do a lot of, I don't own any primes yet (hey, I have only been doing the DSLR thing since February, and have purchased 3 bodies, a 18-200 VR, a 70-200 VR, a 105 VR, a Sigma 50-500, several other cheaper lenses like an 18-50 kit lens, Tamron 70-300, etc... a SB-800, an SB-600, filters, cases, blah blah blah... those big $5k lenses are going to take a bit longer)... :)

I have different lenses for different needs, and some of it is total overkill
I don't own any telecoverters as of yet, my new TC-17E doesn't arrive until tomorrow...

Well, it depends :)

I use both. I use my 105 VR Macro a LOT (prolly 1/3 of my pictures), and any portrait type work I use my 50mm 1.8.

For long range work, which I do a lot of, I don't own any primes yet (hey, I have only been doing the DSLR thing since February, and have purchased 3 bodies, a 18-200 VR, a 70-200 VR, a 105 VR, a Sigma 50-500, several other cheaper lenses like an 18-50 kit lens, Tamron 70-300, etc... a SB-800, an SB-600, filters, cases, blah blah blah... those big $5k lenses are going to take a bit longer)... :)

I have different lenses for different needs, and some of it is total overkill
I don't own any telecoverters as of yet, my new TC-17E doesn't arrive until tomorrow...

o well, i'll guess i should try with mines...
i'm still waiting for my cam to get here, i'll post some more pics :D
the service here is a fraud

Most reactions

Back