One Setting - 2 Different Results!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Paticake35, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Paticake35

Paticake35 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone...I'm the proud owner of a Pentax K100D. I'm still learning the "ropes". I take a ton of pictures of dancers - usually high action, stage lighting, about 40 or so feet away, and no flash allowed. I photographed two recent events with the same settings and got very different results.

My setting was: ISO 3200, "moving object mode", and no flash.
    In the first instance, I was close to the stage. My dancers were blurry and very whited out.
    In the second instance, I was in a balcony, far from the stage, but my dancers were clear.

Does anyone have any insight to my problem? I would have thought being closer would be better! If someone tells me where to upload pictures, I could show them.

THANKS!!!
    Patti

2. PPAAUULL

PPAAUULL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would think it maybe a shaky hand, different shutter speed or even aperture setting. Unless you set those manually to the same as well.

3. aMac

aMac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm. How bright a stage lighting are we talking here? I know that the last time I was shooting something close on stage with the house lights down, the best I could get was about 1/60 shutter speed at f4.5, and that was at 3200 ISO. Granted this was a concert and not dancers (which might be better lit) but it could just be that you won't get a fast enough shutter speed to really catch the dancers in motion.

You'd notice it a lot more up close where their movements are greater too I think.

Do you have any way of checking what shutter speed the problem pictures were taken at? The fast object mode does favour fast shutter speeds but it still needs enough light to use them. You could try again instead using shutter priority (Tv) and with a few test shots, find a balance between freezing motion and getting a good exposure.

The only thing I'm not sure about with the Pentax is if you can force the ISO to a high setting in Tv mode, or if it decides that for you too as well as the aperture

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As noted below the important thing here is not just the ISO setting but the shutter speed required to freeze the action.

If you moved, the lighting will most probably be different at your new location.

What shutter speeds were you getting? What aperure were you shooting at? I use the 85mm f1.8 at concerts and it works very well.... But it's all down to the light you have available.

5. Paticake35

Paticake35 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have NO idea why these two images are different sizes, but as you can see, same settings-way different results. I was a lot closer for the first one...

6. Paticake35

Paticake35 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your replies, everyone!

The facts are:
    My exposure was 1/30s
    The aperature was f/5.6
    The ISO was 3200
    I shot in "moving object mode"

My camera salesman said that "you can always fix the lighting, but not the blurriness" so he suggested these settings.

One difference is on the second shot, I was seated at a table and possibly rested my elbows on it, although I can;t remember. Could that make all the difference?

7. aMac

aMac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looking at the first picture, I don't think camera shake is your problem. The star cloth and most of the surroundings looks fine and it really is just the fact that the dancer is probably moving quite fast for that 1/30 shutter speed.

Also, because the dancer is so bright compared to the overall background, if the camera is trying to expose itself, it'll probably keep overexposing them in that situation. 5.6 is probably you best aperture you'll get if you're zoomed in with standard lens so what you really need to play with is the shutter speed.

Again, assuming the camera lets you set the iso high in this setting, try Tv mode instead of moving object mode. Try some shots at 1/60 speed and if they come out, keep pushing the speed faster (1/80, 1/100, etc) until things start becoming too dark.

You might even want to try the Manual setting to make sure you always have the widest aperture and highest ISO available, then control the image exposure purely with the shutter. In this mode, you'll have to remember to adjust the shutter speed yourself if the lighting suddenly changes for the brighter/darker, but it's the best way to push your limits on getting clear pictures.

8. Paticake35

Paticake35 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow,,,thank you so much! I will start experimenting!