"One stop down" question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Derek Zoolander, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Derek Zoolander

Derek Zoolander TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In reading this article on strobist (http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/09/q-popping-cold-one.html), he talks about lighting the room one stop down:

What does this mean?

2. docphysics

docphysics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Each f-stop lets in 1/2 the amount of light, then the previous f-stop. For example, f/2 lets in 1/2 the amount of light then f/1.4. Therefore, the person cut the regular amount of light in the room by 1/2 then compensated for the darker room, with the flash.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It could mean that the light they set up, was one stop less than the exposure settings they had on the camera (or other light in the room).

For example, if you are shooting at F8, but set up your flash to meter at F5.6, that would be 'one stop down'.

4. Derek Zoolander

Derek Zoolander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I need to figure out how to meter...something haven't done yet. kinda have just been shooting and changing things until they look good...

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Metering is a topic that gets overlooks much too often. With digital, it's a lot easier to get by without a good knowledge of metering but when you are setting up and using your own lighting (especially multiple lights), it becomes invaluable.

Heck, even simple ambient light metering is something that a lot of people don't really understand.

It's certainly something that I recommend getting an in-depth education on.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mike, admittedly this is something I'm weak on and I want to learn more about... Metering, stops, flash power etc... Does understanding exposure cover this in depth? If not can you recommend a publication or something on the web? Thanks.

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure if Understanding Exposure covers it or not. (I'm never read it). Well, I do know that it talks about using the camera to meter off of different parts of the scene, to get different results but I don't know how in-depth it gets.

I'm certain that everything you need, can be found on the web....somewhere. It's just a matter of doing a lot of reading and practicing with your camera.

The first photography course I ever took was called Metering Magic. I already had a decent understanding of exposure etc. but it was helpful to have someone to confirm it and tie it all together.