Online File storage?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by ababysean, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ababysean

ababysean TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Is there a free online photo storage website?
    My hard drive is filling up and I do not want to buy an external right now, but I don't want to delete either... lol
    I am wondering if anyone knows of an online file storage website?
    Thanks so much
    Crystal

2. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Crystal, I use Mozy online, its not free its 4.95 month but pretty darn close. I also burn to DVD's and an external HD. Im neurotic. Oh and I am paranoid about losing my files again. :sexywink:

Oh I might have misunderstood. i use mozy to back up not to store pics. Sorry my bad.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. lordfly

lordfly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Adrive.com apparently gives you 50 gigs of storage space for free.

4. cyngus

cyngus TPF Noob!

dropbox

5. MrBarney

MrBarney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Consider the network performance before deciding. If you have an 8Mbps DSL connection, for example, then you're looking at:

8Mbps = 1MB/second

50GB = 51200MB

That's about 14 hours to download. If it's the same as the UK, then the upstream speed is much less - the best you could get here would be 1Mbps upstream, which makes it about 5 days to upload :shock:

I think external storage is the way to go. USB hard drives are cheap.

6. Mbnmac

Mbnmac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll second dropbox, I don't use it but I know a lot of people in the .jpeg business that use it and rave about it

That's about 14 hours to download. If it's the same as the UK, then the upstream speed is much less - the best you could get here would be 1Mbps upstream, which makes it about 5 days to upload

The thing is, you leave it running in the background, it'll get done when it gets done, then it'll constantly update as you go.

Although having an extra backup is also well worth it, an online file system means you can access anywhere in the world

7. MrBarney

MrBarney TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the OP is looking for some extra storage rather than a backup or archive solution. I agree that as a backup or archive, online is just fine within practical limits. Browsing or searching for files on this kind of setup will be a chore though. I suppose if it's free then it's only your time to try it out, assuming you have true unlimited DSL; somethine which is a rarety this side of the atlantic.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally wouldn't be comfortable 'storing' important data on-line. If it's backup, that's OK...but not as your only version.

As mentioned, hard drives are ridiculously cheap compared to what they used to cost. You don't even need an external drive, if your computer has room for another internal one.

I've been 1 tetrabyte drives getting down to around $100 CDN, so I'm sure you can find something cheaper in your neck of the woods.

Although, the one thing that bothers me, is that it wasn't long ago that 300-500 GB drives were $100-$150. But now that 1 & 2 TB drives are getting cheaper, I'm not seeing $50 500GB drives in any stores. I know they are available, they are just hard to find.

9. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    send them to me Crystal I have like 5 TB of space in my server :)

10. lordfly

lordfly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Walmart was having a sale for 500gb external drives for $55...

11. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed. Off-site, or on-line, storage is not a good solution as the ONLY storage location for your data. Your data should always be stored in 2 places at the very least. Off-site backup is the industry standard for enterprise backup and the SAFEST way to backup data.

Get a new HD to accommodate your files then go with Mozy, unlimited online backup $4.95/mo. This will not work as a storage location only as a backup, any file not on your PC is removed from mozy after 30 days. So if you accidentally delete a file you have 30 days to figure it out before Mozy removes it.

Of course the first time you run mozy it may be slow, it took me more than 2 months on the first run 450gb, but now it runs nightly at 3:30am and since it's only doing a couple gigs at most is very quick.

12. JG_Coleman

JG_Coleman No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +1 for external disk drives over on-line storage.

When looking into online services some time ago, I found that there are also important size limitations for individual files. Certain places offer a whole lot of space but put a ceiling on how large any single file can be. Most individual photographs, including RAW files, will usually be small enough to fit. But when you start talking about stitched, full-res panoramas and rendered TIFF files... some services may not have you covered.

There is also the issue of whether or not you take videos with your camera, as these videos can easily be many times larger than a RAW photograph... even larger than a big 90MB TIFF file.

So if you do go the on-line route, be sure to check out the maximum file size... it differs with each service.

External hard drives are remarkably cheap these days, as has been mentioned by others.

External hard drives offering 2TB can be had for between $130 - $170... and will hold an enormous amount of information.

Even if that size is a bit more than you really need, one can 320GB, 500GB, even 1TB drives for $60 - $100, respectively.

Self-storage is best policy, really... especially with how affordable external mass-storage has become.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.