Online Photo Storage

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by stoi689, Apr 21, 2010.

1. stoi689

stoi689 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everybody,

Still fumbling around trying to master this photography thing!

Just a quick question. With regards to storing photos online, in folders for quick view and easy access. Which website do you guys use? There are so many about: photobucket, flickr, kodak etc. just wondering from experience who you have found does a good job.

I'm happy to pay if necessary but it's a bit of a minefield so any suggestions or advice would be greatefully received.

Cheers! Steve

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe just a terminology issue...but I'd call them photo "hosting" sites, not 'storage'. You upload to sites like that, so that you can share them with others...but I wouldn't consider them a place to 'store' your images (always keep your original photos on your computer, or somewhere more secure).

3. dom yo

dom yo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use flickr
    dont know how photobucket is anymore, but back in the day they used to KILL the integrity of the picture

4. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally chose Zenfolio after trying many different services. I can elaborate more here if you want, but I wrote a short article about it a few weeks ago which explains why: Myfotoguy: Sharing Your Images in an Online Gallery

The short of it is, I wanted a place that reliably stored my images, with access controls and displays my images in a beautiful way.

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For sharing photos, I usually use facebook. Any photo's that I publish to web forums, I use photobucket.

For storage, I host a few websites including a personal website where I store all my photos. For $3.95 a month, its worth every penny.

6. stoi689

stoi689 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I will definitely keep my pics on the computer but just had a worrying moment the other day where I thought I had deleted a load of snaps and wanted to secure them somewhere that I couldn't destroy them! Also somewhere for hosting would be great too.

7. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You should buy an external HD anyway. They are a lot cheaper now a days. I have a 1TB HD that I picked up for $70 at a after Christmas sale that I store files on.

I keep all my files on my EXT HD and I also put some on the web.