Online Store--Okay?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mdith4him, May 22, 2010.

1. mdith4him

mdith4him TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,

I'm trying to find a good deal on a new or used Canon EF 1.8 50mm lens for my T1i. I found them for sale at LuxProShop - online shopping for $40. It sounded like a good deal, but I can't find any information about the company, where they're located or anything. I tried looking them up on Reseller Ratings, but either I was looking in the wrong place or they weren't listed there. I'm a little wary of purchasing through them, unless I can get some additional details about the company. Has anyone heard of them/bought from them before?

Thanks (and sorry if this is a repeat Q...I did do several searches :er:)

~Meredith

2. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think it's an actual shop. It has a .org which indicates it is a "non profit organization" ... it may be bogus or it may be real (like shopping.com). I personally wouldn't do it.

3. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I usually check Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Shop Safe & Avoid Scams. That store isn't there, which doesn't mean it's "bad", but just not rated, so likely not too much traffic to the site. I personally am cautious about such sites, may not be fair for new sites starting out, but I err on caution.

I prefer BH Photo, Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, Adorama, keh.com

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    From .org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting, first time I ever heard that the .org can be used by a profit organization.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. thomashammer78

thomashammer78 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Meredith....

i was looking for the same lens and stumpled over this store also, did you actually go through and purchase or did you find the lens elsewhere and cheaper that then avg 85-95$

Thomas

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If a price seems to good to be true, it's almost always....to good to be true.

8. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Funny, I checked the address for this shop, and it comes up -

'NY Society for Ethical Culture'

If this shop is fake, they picked a good cover address. ;)

9. mdith4him

mdith4him TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I ended up purchasing the lens from an ebay seller. It just seemed a little too cheap...too good to be true, indeed!

pbelarge, how'd you link to the Ethical Culture site? I clicked my original link and it still took me to the photog site. Did you find an actual street address somewhere?

10. NYSEC

NYSEC TPF Noob!

I work for the New York Society for Ethical Culture and it came to my attention last week that "LuxProShop" was using our street address, phone and fax numbers as their US contact location. I can assure you that there is no such company in this building, which we own and operate, or at our phone number. I have gotten both an email from a suspicious customer (or prospective customer) as well as a phone call yesterday from a customer who had ordered and hadn't received merchandise. I explained that there is no such entity here and I expect that it is in fact a scam site. I also expect that there is an unsuspecting company or person in the UK who belongs to the UK contact information listed on lpshop.org. I have contacted the domain registry for the site (which seems to be located in Russia) to complain, but I'm not sure what other recourse we have to get this information removed. Hopefully they can take down this site, which is probably a honey pot for collecting credit card information from unsuspecting people looking for a good deal on camera equipment.

My personal suggestion for reliable purchase of camera equipment is Adorama or B&H Photo (where I bought my DSLR).