only 35mm Q&A????

duelinthedeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i'm very new to this forum and also to photography.
i own a 35mm camera and i have many 35mm questions. when i am in dire need of answers i come to the forum(tpf) and i try looking for a relative thread and all i end up doing is forgeting my questions and reading up on some other topics. although the topics may be very helpfull; i always end up taking shots with many questions in mind.to be honest, i dont want this to happen again.thus, i created this thread and,of course, i have already forgotten all of my questions.

one question i do have is..why isn't there a thread for 35mm pictures?
(i know i'm not the only one with a 35mm camera!!)

if you have read this thread please keep checking back on it.
i feel 35mm is getting hard to find in the forum.
also, if you have any 35mm questions please ASK THEM. i want this thread
alive :goodvibe:

thanks a whole lot :D

duelinthedeep said:
Why isn't there a thread for digital pictures? I would imagine just having some generic 35mm thread would be a bit to general to be useful. Plenty of people ask questions regarding 35mm film cameras around here. But usually most questions pertain to both digital and film. And of course you're not the only one with a 35mm camera. Film isn't dead yet.

Unimaxium said:
Why isn't there a thread for digital pictures? I would imagine just having some generic 35mm thread would be a bit to general to be useful.

it would be quite general but i dont think i meant to say it that way.
i have seen some great shots in this forum but when i read that the picture has been photoshoped i feel like i could never take a picture of such finesse. i belive, it would be a great inspiration to see a great 35mm picture and nothing more to it.

Maybe a film catagory and a didgtal catagory would be useful on this forum. There seem to be catagories for everything else and when I go to the general Q&A, there is more pertaining to digital then I care to read at times. 35mm only may be slightly limiting. I shoot 35mm, but not very often. However, like others here I shoot medium format and not like many others here, I shoot large format.

Also remember just because it was photoshopped doesn't mean it wasn't shot with film, oit could have just been scanned then photoshopped.

Alot of the pictures posted in all the galleries are taken with 35mm film or even medium format film.

Plus you have to remember that sharing images on the web is ultimately a digital medium. The image has to get digitized at some point. Even if you scan a print, it often takes some photoshop work to get the scan to look like the print again.

I'd also like to know what you mean "and nothing more to it". Does this include darkroom work? The way I personally look at it, what you do in Photoshop and what you do in the darkroom is often very, very similar. Neither makes a bad photograph good. You need to start with an image that has quality composition, lighting, etc. What you do in the darkroom/Photoshop are tweaks to try to get the most out of an image. You can "rescue" images that otherwise wouldn't work, but you have to see the core of a good image there before you even start, otherwise you end up with polished mediocrity.

That said, if I *did* have a good image, I wouldn't want to just have it printed at a mini-lab on a 4x6. I'd want to either work on it in Photoshop and print it on a quality inkjet photo printer, or work on it in the darkroom, making a quality custom print. That's what takes the image up a notch, but it requires something good to start with.

I guess this is a long-winded and obscure way of saying, "don't get discouraged". Just practice, practice, practice. The more you shoot, the better you get. When you get to the point where you are getting consistantly good shots even when printed on 4x6 mini-lab prints, then you know you can take it to the next level if you want to invest in expanding your workfflow.

duelinthedeep said:
i'm very new to this forum and also to photography.
i own a 35mm camera and i have many 35mm questions. when i am in dire need of answers i come to the forum(tpf) and i try looking for a relative thread and all i end up doing is forgeting my questions and reading up on some other topics. although the topics may be very helpfull; i always end up taking shots with many questions in mind.to be honest, i dont want this to happen again.thus, i created this thread and,of course, i have already forgotten all of my questions.

if you have read this thread please keep checking back on it.
i feel 35mm is getting hard to find in the forum.
also, if you have any 35mm questions please ASK THEM. i want this thread
alive :goodvibe:

I totally understand the essence of what you are saying here. :) Although some days the forum seems overrun with questions about shooting in RAW and how to correct white balance, there are tons of members here who are shooting film. ;)

Whatever specific question you might have when you encounter some special situation, just ask! If it is a basic photography question, it won't matter if it's film or digital. Aperture, shutter speed, and composition all apply to digicams, too. ;)

I don't think we need to divide the forum into a film or digital section - it's a photo forum, and we embrace all forms of imagery. Besides, we do try to keep the graphics program (ie PS) discussion relegated to that forum, just like we try to keep the darkroom conversations in the darkroom forum. It is easier for users with those specific interests to find kindred spirits there, and hopefully get answers to the questions they have.

So, like Mark was saying - don't get discouraged! If excellent photography was easy, anyone could do it. ;) Just keep plugging away, and hanging out here.

One general piece of advice I like to throw out there is to keep a record of your exposures when shooting film. Keeping an exposure log (f stop, shutter speed, lens) for each shot sounds tedious, but when you sit down later and review your results against that log, it's amazing how things can become clearer for you.

Stay with it! :D Although it is going through a tumultuous period as certain companies struggle to deal with reorganization, film is far from dead. Trust me on that. ;)

thanks markc, terri, daniel, dave d and unimaxium.:cheers:
one thing i didnt know was that you could photoshop 35mm pictures.
for some reason i thought it was only pictures taken with digital cameras
that were possible to photoshop :confused:
to tell you the truth, reading markc's perspective of the darkroom and photoshop really opened my eyes to a whole different way of seeing digital pictures(taken by digicams). :thumbsup:

i was really worried i'd have to buy tons of velvia to get a few good shots.
now that the weight is off my shoulders
i'm looking forward to the capabilities with photoshop and 35mm:D

Most reactions

Back