Oops! Cnet jumps the gun and announces new Rebel T1i

wait 60D is a 21MP crop sensor camera?
suddenly my dreams of good high ISO performance just went away - and yes Nikon are looking very tempting in that regard --- I just wish canon would get it that we don't all want MP all the time!

wait 60D is a 21MP crop sensor camera?
suddenly my dreams of good high ISO performance just went away - and yes Nikon are looking very tempting in that regard --- I just wish canon would get it that we don't all want MP all the time!
That's not what the "rumors" say.

• 15.1mp
  • DIGIC V
  • New 13 Point AF
  • 1080p Movie Mode
  • 8fps
  • 3in VGA LCD
  • 98% VF
  • New Battery
  • Weathersealing
  • Ergonomic Upgrades
  • 1x Compact Flash and 1x Secure Digital Slots
Rumors... I know. But I think even Canon realizes the APS-C sensor is kind of at it's MP limit at the moment until a new technology comes along.

Hopefully the DIGIC V will be able to better handle noise a little better so ISO performance should improve... perhaps only a little, but any improvement is good.

I heard rumors that the Canon engineers were not happy with how they were directed to design the newer cameras like the 5DII. They said that they could have improved image quality (especially noise at high ISO) but that they were directed to increase the mega pixels instead.

Hopefully they will start to realize that this is not what most photographers are asking for. At least not on this end of the market.

Oh, yay an HD video function!

Oh, wait.. that was cool LAST year.. :lmao:

I heard rumors that the Canon engineers were not happy with how they were directed to design the newer cameras like the 5DII. They said that they could have improved image quality (especially noise at high ISO) but that they were directed to increase the mega pixels instead.

Hopefully they will start to realize that this is not what most photographers are asking for. At least not on this end of the market.
Ironically I sat next to a Sr. Canon engineer who has been involved with sensor development since the first CMOS sensors on a flight last week.

He saw my camera bag and asked what model of camera I had inside. We had a great 2 hour camera discussion. I'm just glad he wasn't a Nikon engineer... we wouldn't have has as much to talk about. :p

He said just that... the engineers have always been unhappy with marketing. The push for higher MP is something the engineers fight tooth and nail against.

Until the marketing dolts causes enough market share loss they will continue to win with their agenda.

He said just that... the engineers have always been unhappy with marketing.
:lol: I guess that's just how the world works. I work in engineering & design...and those in marketing/sales are the bane of my existence. I guess that's why I find Dilbert funny :lol:

720 HD was cool last year (D90).
1080 became cool this year (5D Mark II).

:D

Not sure about you but I held a 5D mark 2 mid november 08
The video function was fun for about a month..

Video is always going to be a like or dislike factor - just as some people hate shutter priority but love aperture priority - yet we don't have people asking for one mode to be removed in favour of the other now ;)

As for the marketing part the key missing elements are education - of both the public and the sales people in shops. At the moment people have a (basic) grasp of MP - more is better - and that is what the shop monkies are also trained to sell by. Until people have an understanding of something like low ISO noise and dynamic range we won't start to see them being key parts in camera features.

Interestling though the current financial situation might work in our favour in that over time sales to new "sports mums" type people will start to lessen as things get tighter - so the manufacturers will be relying more on the Pro and serious amateur markets to keep sales up - especailly in the higher order goods.

When I saw the news, I was like 'OMG, isn't that too early?' The 400D is just about 1 year old, and here comes a replacement? I was also pretty shocked to see it's 15mp... But then, isn't it better to have the 50D's sensor over the one of a 450D? Anyway, the 920k pix LCD is also a surprise. The video feature isn't though. Just wondering what's the use of a 20fps video in 1080p? Everyone will end up shooting the 720p anywy. Oh yes, marketing reasons, the so called full HD feature.

Oh, and one more thing - I still can't think of a reason for canon to name the entry-level DSLRs differently in Europe and USA. You shoot with 1D and we do. You shoot with 5D and we do. You shoot with 50D and guess what... we also do. Why can't you shoot a 500D?

Last edited:
Oh, and one more thing - I still can't think of a reason for canon to name the entry-level DSLRs differently in Europe and USA. You shoot with 1D and we do. You shoot with 5D and we do. You shoot with 50D and guess what... we also do. Why can't you shoot a 500D?

That's American consumerism for ya - 500D is targeted to consumers, not pros. Consumers don't understand model numbers, but do understand trademarks (like "iPod"). Consumers are more likely to get what they want when they can say "Rebel" rather than "dee 90" (and yes, the irony of having the 3 Rebel models have model numbers after them is not lost on me).

I can understand the concept of upping the megapixels on canons entry level cameras because a huge majority of the buyers are new and 'green' so to speak and they need to see that the SLR has more MP than their old point and shoot. Video mode will help here too.

But canon seems intent on high megapixels in comparison to Nikon lets say (i know theres exceptions D3x) throughout its range.

I cant imagine this is because most of canons consumers (who buy 50D and up) are not educated on the various factors that make an excellent body. As far as i can see from this forum people seem to know their ****.

Does anyone know any stats. For example what percentage of buyers of the new 50D so far have been complete newbs and so swayed simply by the aesthetics and the 15MP number. Are we that outnumbered that Canon are ignoring us......

Does anyone know any stats. For example what percentage of buyers of the new 50D so far have been complete newbs and so swayed simply by the aesthetics and the 15MP number. Are we that outnumbered that Canon are ignoring us......

ha, yeah, or maybe they made it 15 mp's to hide the fact that the 40D out performs a 50D in low light

-"hey this sensor sucks, what should we do?"

-"more megapixels!!!!"

it might also be artifical boosts in the market - with the looming and then hitting recession a lot of people jumped on some really nice gear - especially if they heard a price rise was approaching so that might have pushed a lot more consumers for the midrange cameras over the entry level ones

There are a lot of good features here that moved down from the x0D line. The penta-prism viewfinder is one that I didn't expect to see in a Rebel model.

Most reactions

Back