Oops! Cnet jumps the gun and announces new Rebel T1i

2020: Canon announces 1000MP camera you heard it here first...:lmao:

I feel like camera manufacturers are never going to stop reaching for higher MP.

So, I'm still using a Rebel 350D (bought in August 2005). My plan was that I would continue to buy GOOD glass for another 2 years and then in 2011 buy the (assumed) 5D Mark III. But ... golly gee ... 50% more pixels than I have now, much better noise ... video ... grr. Curse my limited budget!!

That's American consumerism for ya - 500D is targeted to consumers, not pros. Consumers don't understand model numbers, but do understand trademarks (like "iPod"). Consumers are more likely to get what they want when they can say "Rebel" rather than "dee 90" (and yes, the irony of having the 3 Rebel models have model numbers after them is not lost on me).
Why don't they call it the Rebel 500D then? Isn't it confusing, trying to larn all the XTi, XS etc. models, and remember which one is the newer one. T1i? Does it mean anything to anybody at all? For me, it's just 3 randoms symbols.

With the Canon G10 getting 14.7 megapixel on a 1/1.7" ccd sensor, Canon probably can make a much much higher megapixel on a full frame camera than the 21.1 megapixel that's available on the market. I don't think they are gonna do that though. 15.1 megapixel on a crop sensor is pretty generous in comparison.

With the Canon G10 getting 14.7 megapixel on a 1/1.7" ccd sensor, Canon probably can make a much much higher megapixel on a full frame camera than the 21.1 megapixel that's available on the market.
They can but the noise is already bad on current models, and the G10's midrage ISO is pretty harsh, much less it's higher (ISO 800) levels of performance. I was going to pick one up for my dad... decided to pass on it and give him my Nikon E8800. At 8mp, it's ISO 800 was cleaner than the G10's and he likes it for a P&S.

Once the manufacturers get off the MP merry-go-round race, they can start to concentrate on quality in stead of quantity.

They can but the noise is already bad on current models, and the G10's midrage ISO is pretty harsh, much less it's higher (ISO 800) levels of performance. I was going to pick one up for my dad... decided to pass on it and give him my Nikon E8800. At 8mp, it's ISO 800 was cleaner than the G10's and he likes it for a P&S.

Once the manufacturers get off the MP merry-go-round race, they can start to concentrate on quality in stead of quantity.

I agree, I used to have a P&S on a 1/2.5 in ccd and there was more noise on it at 400 ISO then my D40 at 1600 ISO. You don't really need more then 6-7 megapixel for most of the stuff, it's ashame that the p&s market keep pushing the megapixel envelop rather than other more important things...

Thumbs up to Nikon for starting the video in a dslr!

ha, yeah, or maybe they made it 15 mp's to hide the fact that the 40D out performs a 50D in low light

-"hey this sensor sucks, what should we do?"

-"more megapixels!!!!"

More Cowbell comes to mind. :)

I have the 450D, after realizing that the 500D does 1080 @ only 20fps... I'm not even contemplating the upgrade. They really are pumping these Rebels out at a rapid pace.. it feels like a slap in the face to consumers, and especially beginners like me.

Just my 2c.

Not sure about you but I held a 5D mark 2 mid november 08
The video function was fun for about a month..
I own one. For me the video function was interesting for about an hour. After that, I haven't used it since.

One day, the market will have pushed far enough in this direction and the digital K1000 will be given unto us by the first camera company to figure out what we actually care about. PASM, a reasonable megapixel count, and solid performance at high ISOs (perhaps full-frame)? There's a reason people still shoot K1000s: They're simple and they work. As the digital market hurtles toward senseless complexity, a market is opening for a camera like this.

One of these days one of these companies will figure out that I don't want to order a pizza from Dominos and check my Facebook with my camera, and I don't even want that functionality there at all.

:lol: I guess that's just how the world works. I work in engineering & design...and those in marketing/sales are the bane of my existence. I guess that's why I find Dilbert funny :lol:

and us designers / marketers hate engineers. it's 2 separate ways of thinking, and both are valid. engineers can make cool stuff, but forget the average person doesnt have an engineer's mind, so they need marketers, designers, usability experts to make their product easy to use.

Most reactions

Back