Opinions:$90 Used Metz or $204 New 430ex

majorpayne66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need your help on this one. I am not working now and cash is a concern. What is better for me ? A lightly used Metz 44 AF 4c for $90.00 or should I just bite the bullet and get a new Canon 430ex for $204.00 ?

I have been into photography for 3 months now. I have a Xti with kit lens, 50mm 1.8 and 55-250mm and a good tripod. I am very happy with my equipment and have no plans on upgrading or expanding in the near future.

I shoot mostly outdoors (buildings, people, landscapes, ect.). I am wanting to add a flash for some more flexibility. Which flash should I get?

Metz 44 af 4c =$90.00/local Canon 430ex = $204 = $204.00/Shipped

Metz Guide= 164 Canon Guide= 141
Metz Zoom Range= 24-105mm Canon Zoom Range= 24-105mm
Metz Angle Coverage=84-23 deg. Canon Angle Coverage= 114-23 deg.
Metz Recycle Time= 5 sec. Canon Recycle Time 3.7 sec.
Metz Not Slave capable Canon Slave Capable
Metz Two buttons and easy to use. Canon More buttons and flexibility

I am not sure on any other features or differences.

Metz link: MZ54434C Metz 44 Series AF-4C, E-TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Canon Digital Cameras, Guide Number 144, ISO 100 ft.
Canon link: 0298B002 Canon Speedlite 430EX TTL-Shoe Mount Flash with Case, Guide Number 141, Feet, at ISO 100, USA Warranty.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on flashes, but I do have the 430EX and I am really happy with it.

Does the Metz do ETTL well on the Canon?

Another thing to consider is if money is an issue go with the Metz, and you can always get the canon later and use them with some ebay radio triggers when the time comes.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Metz has been a "Pro" level flash for decades. I am not familiar with this model but the Auto works amazingly well on every Metz I've ever been around.

As a mater of fact on a 45 CL-4 you can expect to get consistent exposure every time. (a flash I have experience with- I have two ;))

If you want to do the strobist thing I don't know that you could do better than a 45 CL-4 unless you wanted a 60 CT-4 (takes an external battery pack and is way bigger). You can use an opti-slave or a Cactus wireless trigger on the potato mashers as either will just plug into the PC cable from the flash. You can generally find a CL-4 (as I understand it The CT-5 is about the same thing, the CL just has an LED for a ready light) for about what you mentioned and if you want an extra battery pack those are cheap on e-bay too.

Good luck

You can get the 430ex cheaper. I got mine for $177 shipped from B&H. On FM you can get them for on average of $180. Look a little further.

-JD-

Thanks for the replies, but still looking for more input if I will be happy with the Metz or should just get the 430ex.
250Gimp Money is a issue but I wont go hungry if I spend the money. Allot of people seem to be happy with there 430ex.
Mike_E Thanks for the info. but I would want a smaller flash to fit in my bag.
Prophet I have searched quite a bit. These are the best I can find. B+H $220.00 + shipping
Cameleta $185+$21.00 shipping. Adorama $199 + $4.30 shipping.

Go on fredmiranda.com into the forums and do a simple search. If you wait a few days, more will pop up I'm sure. Lots of people are taking this offseason to sell old gear to upgrade. Here is one marked at $180.

FS: Canon 430ex flash - FM Forums

Here is one for $150:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/718304/0?keyword=430,Flash#6491143

I suppose I should give my own opinion. Are you going to buy all Metz flashes? Do they slave with each other? Are you going to have multiple flashes? If yes, the Canon is a good choice. I like my 430.

-JD-

Last edited:
Canon does not release it's proprietary algorithms for its ETTL flash technology, so the third party manufacturer have to try to reverse engineer it. If you want true ETTL functionality, I would stay with the Canon flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back