Opinions, and Suggestions for Pentax Simple Indoor Lens

MiniVanMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody!! Sorry for the essay, but I want to put down as much information as possible.

I've been absorbing as much as I can on this forum for a couple weeks now. I'm educating myself as much as I can on behalf of my wife that will be the recipient of all this education. So, here's the story.

My wife comes home, after seeing some pictures that a friend had taken, and remarked how great they were, and the camera used was a Nikon D40. She always complains of various problems with her current camera, and past cameras (cheap P&S cameras). Immediately, the thought crossed my mind that that would be a great Christmas gift. So, my search began, (after telling my wife that there was no way in Hell she was getting a $500.00 camera ;)).

Never one to take the word of just anyone, I started my search around the D40. I compiled a list of wants, and needs. My wife loves having a camera in her hand, but has no experience with anything beyond a cheap Point & Shoot. She's incredibly intelligent, so any learning curve will be easily overcome, should she find the motivation to do so. Which I can assure you she will want to. She's just a little intimidated.

So, looking at features, ability, ease of use, but also a camera that she can grow with, and not feel the need to upgrade (which I've found 90% of D40 users end up doing), I came up with the Pentax K10D. It's probably too much camera at this point, but from everything I've read, it's learning curve isn't that steep, given you understand some fundamentals of photography.

I picked up the K10D for $499.00 at Ritz Camera. I found them cheaper online, at various places, but the 2 (or 3) free photography lessons was a huge selling point for me, as well as an extended warranty. With kids, I wanted to make sure the camera was covered should they decide to play baseball with it or something.

Anyway, I didn't get a kit, so therefore, no kit lens. It seemed the first thing people did was upgrade lenses. Now, I understand the Pentax kit lens is decent enough, but, I wanted to make sure that she would not be left wanting in any regard. So, I purchased the Pentax 18-250mm lens. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I figured, go big or go home. I saw some great shots taken with that combo, and it would be versatile enough to handle "most" situations.

Now, here's where I'm stuck. I'm already waaaaaay over budget for a Christmas gift, but I need a good indoor lens. Pictures will mostly be of the kids and family, but it needs to be hassle free, (i.e. needs to have automatic focus). Christmas is a long way off still, so I have time to wait for some ebay deals if possible.

So, what type of lens should I be looking at? From what I've gathered, a prime lens in the 35-50 mm range with f/2.8 or better. The Pentax 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens is an option, or should I look for something better? What would be better? Is f/2.8 not good enough for consistent, good indoor lighting? Should I be looking at f/1.8 or better?

How about this Tamron lens? It's more than I want to spend, though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...F016P_700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html#reviews

Budget being a primary concern at this point, what would be some good options?

In the end, I want to get my wife the lens that she'll be happy with, and not left for wanting. I know I'm not going to get a 50 mm, f/1.4 lens for $100.00. However, where can I cut corners?

Hi Minivanman. I have the pentax k110d with a pentax 18mm to 55mm. Its a great kit lens that came with the camera when i bought it. I to tried out the 18-250mm lens at ritz. I was very impressed for the price. If you don't want to go over budget the 18-250mm lens would be fine. You just might have to bump on the iso a little indoors. That camera with that lens will be great for her to learn her skills. I have had my pentax for bout 6 mounths now and love it. That 18-250mm pentax lens has image stabilization which will be good for low light as well. Have your wife check out www.shortcourses.com. They have a great learning to use your digital camera that explains everything from using different modes, apature, iso, shutter speed, Depth of field and its all free. I would say in my opinion have her start out with what you got and move from there. That lens the 18mm to 250mm will give a nice wide angle as well as telephoto. Hope this helps ya a little. Im sure some other people on her can give you a little more information as well.

How about a flash that can let her bounce off the ceiling or walls with the current setup?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a K100D and I think the Tamron zoom you suggested would work well (no experience with the brand, but the specs look good), but I would take the SMC FA 50mm f/1.4. For a little less money, you're getting two more stops of speed and better optics. I have a 50mm f/2 and I think it's an nice focal length. If you want to go wider, the 35mm f/2 is a magic focal length on digital, but it is slower and more expensive.

I would love to get rid of my 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses because I despise them, but I doubt you have any use for them. Unless you want to return the 18-250 and buy them both for less and spend more money on a "real" lens (that is to say, a prime).

Great! Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with the 18-250 for now, and see how that goes. Can always upgrade later for specific duties. I just want to make sure that she'll have everything she needs, as far as equipment goes, to take good pictures out of the box. The skill will have to be learned. ;)

By the way, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you are a wonderful husband!! It makes such a big difference to have someone supporting you when you get discouraged! She's going to love it.

By the way, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you are a wonderful husband!! It makes such a big difference to have someone supporting you when you get discouraged! She's going to love it.

Thank you. I figure that buying her expensive toys nullifies being a turd for the entire year. :wink::lol:

Actually, this seems to be something I could get excited about as well. Hell, I already have. We don't share a similar passion (there are definitely things we enjoy doing together, but not passionate about) for anything outside of the family, and each other, so finding a hobby that we could both be excited about, and participate in as a family, would be nice.

In fact, I had to take all the new equipment over to a friend's house to stash it away so I didn't end up playing with it, or worse, getting overly excited and just giving it to my wife early.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back