Opinions for Pushing or Fast film

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by beetle_slayer, Sep 11, 2004.

1. beetle_slayer

beetle_slayer TPF Noob!

Aug 1, 2004
    I am getting married in a few weeks in the eve/night. The wedding is outdoor with 2 indoor rooms. The outside will have calm lighting with lights in trees and on the ground. I have a photographer to take the pics, but I am also having my father take other pics. My equipment is a Canon EOS 1 with 85mm F1.8 Lens. I have an EZ540 flash, but would prefer to use ambient light--thus my question. Is it gonna look bad with film pushed to 1600 or 3200 for candid/photojournalistic b&w shots? I know bad is completely opinionated, but quality wise, is it worth doing?

Sometimes questions are easier to ask in person instead of typing out....hahaha
  2. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

Apr 19, 2003
    I think it's going to depend a lot on what film you use. I had to push Velvia 50 to 400 last year and it came out pretty darn good considering. The grain was still smaller than 400 film would have been I think, but that's subjective obviously.

But if you're looking for grain I'd shoot fast film from the start.
  3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Aug 25, 2003
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Without some experimentation it's hard to say which would be better for you: high speed film or pushing a slower film. A wedding is not the time to practice, so unless you have time to experiment with a roll, I'd say stick with Fuji 1600, Tmax 3200, or Delta 3200.