Opinions needed

weekly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am looking to buy a dsl. The main purpose for this camera will be taking pictures of house interiors to be posted on the web.
Right now my collection consists of an EOS 3000 and a powershot G5 I am telling you this so you get an idea of my knowledge level.

Being these images are destined for the net I am thinking something like the 5D would be a waste of money. But I may be wrong because all I know is what I have read and can understand.

The cameras I have been looking at are in the $800 range +or- a few hundred $.
Canon EOS 30D
Canon EOS 400D
Nikon D80
Pentax K10D
Sony DSLR-A350

I am starting to get bogged down by the amount of information I have read on these cameras. So far my thoughts are
The 30D sounds like a great camera and I think it is a more professional camera. But I have a bit of a hard time with the 8mp. Does it being a step up make this a non issue?
The 400D seems like a good camera with allot of lens selection but doesn’t seem to excel at anything.
The D80 seems about equal to the 400D maybe a little better.
The K10D seems to impress allot of people. I like the weather protection and the amount of features.
The A350 is the way I am leaning it seems to at least match all the others in features. I like the live view system and the tilting screen. Plus it seems to get very favourable reviews.

As I am sure you can all tell I don’t really know what I am talking about and that is why I have come to ask those that know.
So please tell me am I heading in the right direction. Have I left any cameras out?
Is there any advantage for me to move up to the 40D or D300 range?
Any suggestions for a wide angle lens for the interior shots?

Sorry for all the questions but I need all the help I can get:wink:

Thanks
Mark

Welcome to the forum.

Really, any of the camera that you have listed, will be more than adaquate for your needs.

The different companies (Canon & Nikon etc) have different levels of DSLR camera bodies. The entry level bodies are smaller and lighter, using more plastic in the construction. The higher level bodies have more metal and usually more controls & buttons on the body, so that you don't have to be hunting in the menus.

For your purpose, I don't see much advantage is spending more money on a higher level body (unless you are rough on it and need more durability)

What would really make a difference, especially for interior shots, will be the lens. You will probably want a wide angle lens or even an ultra wide angle lens. For the cameras you have listed, that means something in the 10-20mm range. Canon makes a 10-22mm lens and Sigma makes a good 10-20mm for either Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.

That being said, for only posting images on the internet...you could probably get by with a non-SLR digital camera. Is there any reason why your powershot G5 isn't suiting your purposes?

Any cheap DSLR will do great for you. It will be beneficial to learn how to tweak photos in photoshop though.

Get the cheapest body out of the bunch (the 400D, I think).

For the lens, I'd get the Tokina 12-24, just because I don't know how wide of an angle you need, and I'd just get the Speedlight 430EX because the lens won't be fast enough.

because the lens won't be fast enough.

Why would you need a fast lens for shooting house interiors? I know the light will be dim but its not like he's shooting a moving object, so he could stick it on a tripod and let it expose as long as needed.

Why would you need a fast lens for shooting house interiors? I know the light will be dim but its not like he's shooting a moving object, so he could stick it on a tripod and let it expose as long as needed.

Huh, I never looked that way, but if he was to buy a great tripod, that and the flash would probably cost about the same. Well, I guess there are the $100+ Manfrottos; they should be good enough.

Yes I suppose all these cameras are overkill image quality wise for the net. I want a dslr to get as wide as possible shot with little effort.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I could get a wide angle attachment for the g5 and it would then most likely fill my needs. But I am also using this as an opportunity to get myself a nice dslr and be able to write it off for work:D.

I think the way I am planning on using the camera would make the live view and tilting screen of the a350 a definite benefit. So I am most likely going that way. Although a local camera shop has a good deal and a k10d.

I have been looking at lenses and am wondering what “diagonal angle of view” means? Is it proportional to focal length?

What would be a good wide lens for the a350?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back