Opinions on 3 Nikkor lenses please

Captain IK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a good portrait lens and have narrowed the field to 3 lenses. I'm interested in you thoughts on each of these...
1. - 85mm f1.8
I am told this a a very sharp lens and is a good focal length for digital portraits. Nice and fast with good DoF capabilities

2. 60mm f1.8 micro
This appears to be a good sharp lens as well with much better close focus capabilities

3. 105 f2.8 macro
This lens is apparently the best quality of the 3 but I am concerned that it is a little long for indoor portraits (at least for me as my studio is rather small)

It is likely that I would use this lens speciffically for portraits and nothing else, although the guys at the camera shop tell me that if I get the 85 or 105 I will love it and use it often.

Thoughts please...

Thanks

If you are looking at 105 macro, then you might want to look at 85mm f1.4 AFD, it is an older design but one of the best there is.

I ruled out the 85 1.4 only because it's almost triple the cost of the 1.8. Didn't think such a small gain in speed was worth the cost. If there is something else I should know about this lens....please enlighten me.

I think you're correct in saving the money with the 1.8. For what you are doing, the won't be an advantage over the 1.8. That being said, I would opt for the 105. The reason being, DOF. You can compress features a whole lot better with the 105, and it's an awesome lens. Super sharp. Just my .02

I think you're correct in saving the money with the 1.8. For what you are doing, the won't be an advantage over the 1.8. That being said, I would opt for the 105. The reason being, DOF. You can compress features a whole lot better with the 105, and it's an awesome lens. Super sharp. Just my .02

I appreciate your 2 cents!
The 105 would have been a done deal already except for my concern about the lack of distance I have between subject and camera in my home studio.
At best I can get 10' from the subject...maybe 12 if I push the subject close to the background.
I've done a few test shots at 105 focal length with one of my zooms, and found that although I was able to get the shots I wanted, I was at the maximum (or minimum depending on how you look at it) distance.
If I needed to back up for any reason...I couldn't

I would say the 60, as it is multi featured. But it all depends on how much space you will be shooting in.

Ah, well with that being said, I would probably go with the 60mm. Same reasons as the 105. The 60 is a great lens. I love mine. I use it for macro, but still a great lens for portraiture.

I appreciate your 2 cents!
The 105 would have been a done deal already except for my concern about the lack of distance I have between subject and camera in my home studio.
At best I can get 10' from the subject...maybe 12 if I push the subject close to the background.
I've done a few test shots at 105 focal length with one of my zooms, and found that although I was able to get the shots I wanted, I was at the maximum (or minimum depending on how you look at it) distance.
If I needed to back up for any reason...I couldn't

Well, in your profile, you list having an 18-105mm. Put it on, set it to full zoom, and see where it puts you in the studio. If you feel that doesn't leave you enough room to work, then you have at least narrowed your search by 33%....

If it does work, I would recommend the 105....very crisp portraits.

I'm surprised some of you are saying the 60 over the 85.
I would have thought the DoF and compression of the 85 would be better for portraits than the 60.

What camera do you shoot with? that has alot to do with angle of view. 99% of people here shoot on small sensor cameras, so they're going to think that the 60 will be the most flexible, because on those bodies, it's the equiv. to about an 85. If you're shooting on full frame, then things change dramatically.

That's a good point that I forgot to mention, but it is a cropped sensor camera (D90)

Well, in your profile, you list having an 18-105mm. Put it on, set it to full zoom, and see where it puts you in the studio. If you feel that doesn't leave you enough room to work, then you have at least narrowed your search by 33%....

If it does work, I would recommend the 105....very crisp portraits.

Keep in mind the 105 is probably going to reach a lot further with the 18-105. He most likely owns a DX body, and that 105 is going to be the equivalent of 155mm or so.

Most reactions

Back